Should I reduce my water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valerieinthegallery

Reaction score
I do HP and I have always used the "standard" 38% of water, per soapcalc and it's been fine.

I have mostly done all-veggie recipes and I have never had a boil-over, never had the soap even touch the crockpot lid.

Yesterday, I did a 60% lard and I had to keep a close eye on it, so I could keep stirring it down as it would get higher and higher, at one point hitting the lid.

Today, I did a 65% lard and it's even more ornery, trying its best to boil over on me. (I know it's not really "boiling" - you know what I mean).

Should I reduce my water to a 2.5:1 or 2:1 water/lye ratio? Would that help?

I am nervous to reduce it too much, as I know some of the water cooks out during HP.

Thanks!

At what temperature do you combine it all? Sometimes I never worry I put my hot lye in my hot oils and turn on the slow cooker, but that can cause issues with over flow!

I'm not sure what the temp is, but I put the crockpot on low, melt solid fats. That takes about 20 minutes or so, so as soon as I put them in the crockpot and turn it on, I mix my lye and water, which is room temp. As soon as the fats are melted, the liquid oils are poured in, and the lye water is clear, I add the lye water and stick blend, etc.

Like I said, I'm not sure of the temps, but I do it the same exact way every time and my all-veggie recipe doesn't behave this way. I didn't know if it was a "lard thing".

I have issues with high lard in HP. You might need to lower your cook temp if you can or maybe even turn it off once it starts to cook.

I am not able to lower the temp, but maybe if I turn it off when it first starts rising high like that? It cooks FAST.

But you don't think a reduction in water would be a good idea?

Thanks!

I don't melt my oils in the slow cooker using heat any more - I find it gets the whole thing too hot.

Try this - put the hard oils in the slow cooker but don't turn it on. Put your lye in the water and let it dissolve then pour the hot lye solution on to the hard oils. Let that melt (with some stirring help) and add the soft oils. Sb to trace and turn on the slow cooker

Reducing the water tends to increase the rate of saponification. That is why some people use a high lye concentration for olive oil soaps (a slow saponifying fat) and lower lye concentration for coconut soap (a hot, fast saponifier).

If you force saponification to go faster, that will raise the temperature of your soap batter, not lower it! Bottom line -- I don't think you want to go there.

Less input of heat from that crock pot is a much better idea -- listen to Obsidian and Effy.

Last edited:
I don't melt my oils in the slow cooker using heat any more - I find it gets the whole thing too hot.

Try this - put the hard oils in the slow cooker but don't turn it on. Put your lye in the water and let it dissolve then pour the hot lye solution on to the hard oils. Let that melt (with some stirring help) and add the soft oils. Sb to trace and turn on the slow cooker

I think I *will* try that. I have melted solid fats with hot lye water before, doing CP, so am familiar with that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you reduce the water in HP it will be more gloppy, and you wont pour it in the mold so much as pack it. If that doesnt bother you, sure you can lower the water.
I would turn off the crockpot and insulate it well once everything has started cooking well - thats what Susie does for her liquid soaps and it works well (just dont leave it overnight :p )

If you reduce the water in HP it will be more gloppy, and you wont pour it in the mold so much as pack it. If that doesnt bother you, sure you can lower the water.
I would turn off the crockpot and insulate it well once everything has started cooking well - thats what Susie does for her liquid soaps and it works well (just dont leave it overnight :p )

I glop my soap in the mold already as it is. I like the rustic look, which is why I prefer HP. :)

I assume there is a story behind the "just don't leave it overnight" comment? :smile:

Oh if you left it overnight it would harden in the crockpot - you dont want that!

Oh! It sounded like there was a personal story about leaving it overnight or something! lol.

I definitely WON'T leave it overnight! I would be way too excited to get it out of the pot and into a mold! :)

Back