Should I make more then just soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
Should I be making more stuff then just Goat Milk Soap?
Like balms, scrubs, etc?
If so, what are some good things to start making? What sells best?

It really depends on your target market? Lip balms sell well so do sugar scrubs and lotion etc. I went little by little adding to my line , lip balm is fun to make..

I would work on perfecting CP soap first before branching out. I notice that in some of your other threads you are dealing with inconsistent results - overheating, crumbling and the like and you are still experimenting with recipes. From my point of view, I would focus on one thing at a time.

Lip balms and scrubs are good options, however, as they are easier to produce safely than, say, lotions or creams.

Lip balms and body balms are generally simple to make but you should go through a period of testing as sometimes the cocoa butter can be temperamental and shea butter and virgin coconut oil may go grainy. Ask me how I know this! :)

Bath bombs and bath salts are quite easy to make and can sell well.

I agree with the others. Start slow. It's so very easy to become overwhelmed when you take on too much at once....ask me how I know....I've had an extremely busy spring/summer/fall and have been behind the 8 ball trying to play catch up with everything and it's been quite the wake up call. Fortunately I have some downtime coming soon and plan on getting ahead of the game.

Should I be making more stuff then just Goat Milk Soap?
Like balms, scrubs, etc?
If so, what are some good things to start making? What sells best?

Certainly perfect your soap first. I would also recommend making more than just Goat's Milk soap. If you only make gm soap you are limiting your market. I find sellers of just gm soap do no do as well as I at the farmer markets since I sell a wide variety including Vegan. At least in Southern Ca I am finding a downturn in the sale of scrubs. To much online and the customer feels they can just make them at home. Fortunetly I came up with a scrub that they cannot replicate at home, but it took me a couple of years to perfect.

Lip balms and body balms are generally simple to make but you should go through a period of testing as sometimes the cocoa butter can be temperamental and shea butter and virgin coconut oil may go grainy. Ask me how I know this! :)

Bath bombs and bath salts are quite easy to make and can sell well.

I HATE making 'friggin lip balms...

Back