Should i give up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but I don't know what "OP" means... I did a search on this forum for allanblackia because I also didn't know how I should otherwise let others know that, after having sent a request to several "lye calculator" sites requesting that the SAPs and fatty acid composition for allanblackia butter be added to their calculator, The Sage customer support is who responded... I thought that posting this somewhere was better than not posting the information at all... I'm the first person to admit that I'm not the most computer/blog/forum savvy person... what would've been the better way?
OP stands for 'opening post(er)', whoever wrote the first post in the thread.
This really varies across forums, but the moderators here do not like when people post in older threads. I have mixed feelings about this practice, but better obey their guidelines...
You could open a new thread and maybe link to this old one, or at least I think that's the preferred way of doing things. But thanks for the info, it really is helpful!

I'm sorry but I don't know what "OP" means... I did a search on this forum for allanblackia because I also didn't know how I should otherwise let others know that, after having sent a request to several "lye calculator" sites requesting that the SAPs and fatty acid composition for allanblackia butter be added to their calculator, The Sage customer support is who responded... I thought that posting this somewhere was better than not posting the information at all... I'm the first person to admit that I'm not the most computer/blog/forum savvy person... what would've been the better way?

OP=Original Poster. Posting is fine but it's not going to reach person who asked the question. That's all.

Here is some helpful information for new members to learn more about the culture and mores of this forum --

In either the Lye-Based Soap forum or the Beginner's Soap forum, see The Acronym and Abbreviation Definition Thread...
This will lead you to an outside website where you can learn what OP means, but a quick Google search often works well. OP means "original poster" or "original post".

In the Announcements, Comments, Help, and Rules forum, see How to Post a Thread, SMF Culture and Tone, SMF Message Board Rules, Forum FAQs, etc.

The Culture and Tone thread will explain there's no absolute rule on SMF that says you can't post on old threads, but it's weird to give advice to people who haven't posted for years and it's impolite to expect current members to wade through old, sometimes inaccurate, often irrelevant posts to get to your new, relevant post. Also older threads often contain out of date information and ideas which can mislead new soap makers. The staff encourages people to start new threads rather than respond to old ones. It;s perfectly fine to provide references to older thread(s) in your new thread, so interested readers can wade through the old info if they're curious, but it's not required.

Last but not least, in the Lye-Based Soap forum I also recommend How To Properly/Safely Conduct The Zap/Tongue Test

Latest posts

Back