Little Helper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Should children witness childbirth?

Due to a power outage, only one paramedic responded to the call. The house was very dark so the paramedic asked Kathleen, a 3-yr old girl to hold a flashlight high over her mommy so he could see while he helped deliver the baby. Very diligently, Kathleen did as she was asked. Heidi pushed and pushed and after a little while, Connor was born. The paramedic lifted him by his little feet and spanked him on his bottom. Connor began to cry. The paramedic then thanked Kathleen for her help and asked the wide-eyed 3-yr old what she thought about what she had just witnessed. Kathleen quickly responded, "He shouldn't have crawled in there in the first place......smack his ass again!"

If you don't laugh at this one, there's no hope for you.

I've heard it before. Children are there at childbirth. They are the ones being born. :)

Birth and death are natural parts of life, no need to hide it I guess. The child cussing part though I was like woah... No. No. :)

1. For a joke it was ok. Maybe though the title was inappropriate. Made the post seem more like a serious discussion rather than a light hearted "here's a joke" post.
2. I was a child who saw childbirth. I was 9 and it was my youngest sister. She came out not breathing due to the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. I will never forget that - and it wasn't something I should have ever seen.

It honestly depends on the situation. If there is an emergency situation (as it seemed like this was before it was revealed as a joke) then yes, obviously that child is needed and will inevitably have to see it (gotta do what you gotta do).
However, it's not like a movie for entertainment purposes, so if there is no need for a child to be in that situation, then of course, IMO the child should not have to witness it.

But you also have to take into consideration that some people/cultures and belief systems think it's a totally natural thing (which it is) and see nothing wrong with involving the entire family, children included.

I thought it was funny!

I think it depends on the situation, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with children being there for child birth. Ideally, there would be somebody there whose sole responsibility is to look after the child, so if things get difficult (c-section, etc) or the child gets upset or exhausted, that person would remove the child and take them home, etc.

I too thought it was funny, it's a joke and wondered why everyone was commenting about children and childbirth o_O, I don't think it was mean't for comment on that subject, that's the way I see it. I also read it out to dh and he had a chuckle.

Last edited:
And yet the name of the thread is literally "should children witness childbirth."
You're SO right, artemis! Yikes! I was in a silly mood -- didn't even think of that! Apologies to all who were offended. Sure wish there was a way to edit the title.

The subject matter had nothing to do with why I didn't find it funny. I'm just not fond of children and generally don't think their antics are amusing.
I have no opinion on kids actually seeing birth. I personally wouldn't want one watching me give birth but I didn't want anyone watching.

When my sister was giving birth her daughter, age five at the time, was in the room the whole time. Labor and delivery. She got to see him enter the world and has a deep connection to her little brother. Life and death is part of life and for centuries families have given birth at home. A birth is a beautiful natural thing so why hide it like it’s shameful or dirty.

When we first moved to the farm, our kids witnessed the birth of calves, foals and kittens. From that, they realized that giving birth was a natural process of life. They didn't however, get to witness the birth of their brother. I don't think they would have wanted to witness that, either.:)

Back