Shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby

Reaction score
hi everyone. I bought a shortening thinking its the same as crisco, however when i arrived home and check, mine is not so the same with crisco. Ive checked forum but its about hydrogenated, mine is non-hydrogenated palm. I will post the ingredients photo. Soap experts, please help. I will return it if I purchased a wrong shortening. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0EA07BE0-7ABE-4770-A56B-AFA00F3EAF2F.jpeg
    0EA07BE0-7ABE-4770-A56B-AFA00F3EAF2F.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 51
The 1st ingredient is Corn and then palm.
You would be better off to get a 1 oil and not a mix.
It will help you figure out what works and what doesn't

I missed the corn oil.;) Yes, take it back and get something that has one oil in it.
Haha. Yes i did and took a coconut oil.
I have corn oil but didnt use it yet. Why do you like it??

You could have used the shortening you purchased using the Crisco with palm in soap calc. Crisco is Soybean with Palm but he Sap Value for Soybean and Corn Oil are very close 0.137 corn oil versus 0.136 for partially hydrogenated soybean or the same for fully hydrogenated soybean.

I have never used corn oil in soap, so can't comment. My soaps usually contain coconut oil, palm oil, Castor oil, rice bran or olive oil and sometimes shea butter. I have tried some of the more exotic oils and have found that they don't add much to my soap. I now save them for lotions and creams.

Eons ago Corn was a no no.
Not sure if it was a DOS thing or just didn't make a very good bar.
I don't feel like searching for it on the Dish ;)

Corn is very high in linoleic acid so could be prone to dos. It is higher than regular sunflower oil. This is from Alchemy and Ashes single oil test results. This is what her initial findings are, quoted from here site MY RESULTS: Corn Oil was soaped at 75* with the lye at 110*, and reached trace in 2 minutes. It took 5 days to be able to unmold it without much damage and test tongue neutral. It produced a off white, close to yellow bar with a strong odor of (guess what!) Corn, with tons of bubbles, It was hard to rinse off and left a greasy felling on my skin. It pH tested at 9.
http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com/2013/03/single-oil-soap-experiment-phase-one.html

You could have used the shortening you purchased using the Crisco with palm in soap calc. Crisco is Soybean with Palm but he Sap Value for Soybean and Corn Oil are very close 0.137 corn oil versus 0.136 for partially hydrogenated soybean or the same for fully hydrogenated soybean.
Yes i wanted to buy crisco but we dont have that here i guess, didnt see it in supermarket

Corn is very high in linoleic acid so could be prone to dos. It is higher than regular sunflower oil. This is from Alchemy and Ashes single oil test results. This is what her initial findings are, quoted from here site MY RESULTS: Corn Oil was soaped at 75* with the lye at 110*, and reached trace in 2 minutes. It took 5 days to be able to unmold it without much damage and test tongue neutral. It produced a off white, close to yellow bar with a strong odor of (guess what!) Corn, with tons of bubbles, It was hard to rinse off and left a greasy felling on my skin. It pH tested at 9.
http://alchemyandashes.blogspot.com/2013/03/single-oil-soap-experiment-phase-one.html
Thanks for this. I will keep the corn in the kitchen then. Haha

Hello!

Not sure where you live, but here in the US I am weary of buyin anything with corn, because of the GMO.

Not sure what the others think, I would love their opinion, but I have used stick margarine in the past. They are usually soybean, and palm. When I did, I used the bramble berry calculator, and used the Shortening (Vegetable) selection. I thought it made the soap creamy, but I only used a 5 %

I have used corn oil in soap in very small percentages because I had it. I don't actually recall why, because I certainly don't use corn oil to cook with, as I just don't like it. Maybe I wanted to see what would happen if I used corn oil in soap. I didn't get DOS, but can't say I noticed anything good or bad about the soap.

As far as using shortening in soap, I have used Crisco as well as the Great Value brand (by Walmart), but also other brands, too when they were available. Each time I used the lye calculator setting for one or the other of the shortening brands and had no problems with the soap. The SAP values are likely close enough not to be too concerned, IMO. Not all lye calculators list Shortening, but some do, so I use those when making soap with shortening as an ingredient.

Latest posts

Back