Shopping bags for customers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
For those of you who do craft shows - do you think it's important or beneficial to have nice shopping bags? I'm thinking of trying a craft show or two in 2019 and I'm leaning towards using my plastic grocery bags, rather than buying something. Thoughts?

I use small black t shirt type plastic bags for most sales, but also purchase white handle craft bags by the case from Papermart which are used for larger multi sale purchases and for my crochet items. I do think new bags should be used. Since all my info including how to take care of bar soap is on my labels I do not go to the expense of extra cards. In fact, I no longer use business cards.

I would not use used plastic grocery bags. It just goes against the whole idea of who we are as soapmakers. I just buy small brown paper lunch bags at the grocery store. I think they cost me .04 a piece. Or we have a wholesale paper supply that I can buy cases of these bags but they are no cheaper than .04 each. Just my thoughts:)

I buy white handle bags from Papermart or Nashville Wraps. I get 250 each year. I put a Thank you label with my website on them. They perfectly hold 4 of my bars along the bottom. I place a business card in each bag. I also bought some small decorative paper bags from Papermart for smaller purchases.

Dont forget if you are in the UK (possibly EU as well) there are restrictions on bags. It used to only be large companies that had to charge but I think its all businesses now

My only concern is what was in the grocery bag when I brought it home. On principle, I try to throw away any bags that held meat or produce, but my husband does most of the shopping and doesn't have those I concerns. I know because I've found some pretty gross looking bags in the grocery bag stash. So as a shopper, while I like the idea of re-using a bag, I don't like the "what was in that bag before I got it" thoughts that run through my head. I use the brown lunch bags, I get a large pack at the dollar store but have to double bag if they buy more than 4 bars as the bags are quite thin. I have bought the kraft bags with the handles at the dollar store (I get the size that has 3 in a pack), which isn't very cost effective. It's on my list to do as Shari does and buy a large qty for a better price. I just need to get my stuff organized so that I have room to keep it. Hubby is currently throwing a fit about my lab spilling out of its designated area and taking over part of the family room shelves...

I would not use used plastic grocery bags. It just goes against the whole idea of who we are as soapmakers. I just buy small brown paper lunch bags at the grocery store. I think they cost me .04 a piece. Or we have a wholesale paper supply that I can buy cases of these bags but they are no cheaper than .04 each. Just my thoughts:)

Exactly same here. Plus we have Plastic bag bans here, and yes I am happy for it.
Costco has like a 400 or 500 bag of Kraft paper Lunch bags for like, I think $8 or maybe it was $13 can't remember but I have to go get more tomorrow. Still super cheap.
Each bag gets a Biz card in it, Vista print, super cheap and cheaper with a sale ;)

Wanted to update this about Costco.

500 bags, 8# I think paper. $8 (and change) at the store, so round up to $9 so that is $0.02 each.
I usually put 4 in a bag since I have a 4 for $ that most buy.
But have put 5 in.
Usually if they have a strong masculine bars and then some more Fresh, fruity or floral I put those in another bag to be nice :)

I don't think I'd reuse plastic bags. It really depends on your customers' understanding that you are reusing bags for ecological reasons, but at the same time you are trying to sell handmade soap as a special - even luxury - item and reusing a bag doesn't really fit with that. A plain paper bag (nothing fancy) would be better IMO. If someone bought enough soap to fill a couple of lunch size bags, then maybe have a few 'upcycled' bags available for them to use if they want to. Walking around a market (if a person doesn't have a large market bag of their own) with bags that don't have handles could be difficult.

I try to use reusable shopping bags, but occasionally forget to take them. We have a septic system and I try to keep as much kitchen scraps as possible from getting in there. So next to my sink I have a bowl to collect compostables and another for the rest of the scraps. I reuse whatever plastic bags we end up with to line those bowls so they stay clean. I also have some bags that I will reuse to put soaps in that I am giving to friends/family, but to amd's point not the ones from the grocery store.

For several years I used the paper lunch bags in white but they were hard to carry. I do keep some around for customers that do no want plastic bags and have their own reusable bags just to keep the soap separated from what is in their shopping bag. If they have food in their bag I give them a handle paper or plastic bag.

I tried the paper lunch bags and didn't find them sturdy enough. They were okay for a bar or 2 but not larger purchases. Then they were hard to carry. I decided the bit of extra expense was worth it to have nice bags with handles for customers. I can fill small handle bag with a lot of product and know the bag will hold it.

I tried the paper lunch bags and didn't find them sturdy enough. They were okay for a bar or 2 but not larger purchases. Then they were hard to carry. I decided the bit of extra expense was worth it to have nice bags with handles for customers. I can fill small handle bag with a lot of product and know the bag will hold it.
My sentiments precisely. And, you can make them look more festive it you add a bit of tissue paper for special holidays (i.e. Christmas). Even a plain brown bag with handles looks great with a pop of Christmas tissue paper.

You all must have gotten the really thin bags. The ones I get are like the ones I had back in the 70's, thicker but not as thick as an old grocery paper bag.
I too have bags for Holiday's, actually this year I did boxes but no one wanted them :rolleyes:

I also have the Rustic look going for me, I live in an Earthy Crunchy Green area so I am good ;)

What you use depends on what your 'Look' is. If you want fancy looking soaps then you will need to get fancier bags.

I'm hardly the voice of reason, since I'm all about 'branding' and I tend to be a little over the top and 'frou-frou' - I mean I DO have a chandelier in my tent!
BUT...I think it's important that your shopping bags reflect your business style no matter what style that may be. Your customer's experience doesn't end when they walk away from your booth. They are going to look at that bag sitting on their counter when they get home. And it's just MHO, but no matter how great your soap may be, a plastic bag just doesn't scream that your products are anything special. Attention to detail sets you apart from the rest of the crowd, and you want your customers to know that they are getting something really special and unique!
So with that in mind I use white kraft paper bags in two sizes from Nashville Wraps and I stamp each bag with my logo and my business name. This may sound like a PITA, but I take some time each month to stamp bags while I'm vegging in front of the television. Spread a blanket on the floor, and I can stamp 100 bags during the course of a movie!
I bought custom self-inking stamps for my logo and business name a few years ago from Vistaprint for $25 each and they will last a lifetime. These are the bags that I buy from Nashville Wraps:
https://www.nashvillewraps.com/bags/white-shopping-bags/p-843/roswh
24 cents each
https://www.nashvillewraps.com/bags/white-shopping-bags/p-843/cubwh
26 cents each
Money well spent.

Last edited:
And you could stamp them with your logo if you wanted to.

Back