Shoes and Plantar Fasciitis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have Plantar Fasciitis. This is new to me and I am quickly finding out that there is really nothing to do about it but foot/leg stretches that don't help, rolling a ball under my foot that doesn't help. I have a friend at work that said she got great shoes from Asics that helped her. I spent $200 on these shoes and they hurt more, and hurt in different places as well because they make you walk weird. Like I felt like my little toe was dislocated.

So another friend recommended Hoka shoes, and they are expensive as well. I am just reluctant to spend that kind of money again for shoes that aren't going to help either. They are apparently all the rage at the hospital, and an
RRT was over the top with them. But then I saw the price tonight so I'm just like....ok, I just bought a pair of shoes that cost enough to buy 5 pairs of shoes and they don't help either soooo....

My feet hurt so bad all day from the minute I get out of bed. Then an hour drive to work and getting out of the car is excruciating as well.

The thought of spending another $200 on a pair of sneakers again within two months... figured I'd ask here to get another opinion.

I don't have planter fasciitis, but I do have foot problems and pain. The sneakers that feel the best to my feet are Brooks. It may be worth trying a pair on to see how they feel to you. I hope you find something that helps. Maybe a custom orthotic?

Do you have access to ask a podiatrist who they recommend for special shoes? The shoe vendor can help you pick what shoes will be best for your foot issue. I’d be really frustrated to spend that much on shoes that didn’t help. 🌸

my husband has dealt with that, the pain does not go away as soon as you switch shoes, or as soon as you start the stretch exercises, it takes time but it will heal. He did have to get inserts, custom made for his feet. He can use those inserts on any shoes, He does like Hoka shoes (with his inserts). And for sandals, I got him some with high arch support.

Chronic PF sufferer here, mostly in remission unless I do something to set it off. What helped me:

1. Doing all the recommended stretching, multiple times throughout the day, for 3 months.
2. Rolling a frozen water bottle under the pain point several times per day.
3. Never, ever walking barefoot till it was 100% healed, and rarely even now. Seriously. I pay $50 for slippers with arch support that I keep right next to my bed and that I wear in the house. I miss going barefoot but it takes less than a day of going barefoot to create a flare up.
4. Asics and Saucony worked really well for me. I had to go up half a size to fit in the serious arch support inserts to go with them.
5. At one point, I did get steroid injections in my heels so that I could function. I wished I'd done it sooner since it helped me sleep better, and sleeping helps healing.

What didn't work: wearing the PF "boot" at night. It drove me crazy, and I couldn't sleep with it on. But another friend swore by it, which is why I gave it a try. Danskos were another no-go for me. They were too heavy and made my ankles so tired. I think I still have two pairs in my closet. Talk about expensive!

Good luck and I hope you find the combination of shoes and other things that work for you.

Last edited:
Like AliOop I am have chronic PT. You may think the exercises don’t help, but give it time. You didn’t get PT overnight and it will take time to heal. I used to like New Balance but then the soles would separate from the upper - I think they changed the adhesive between the two and it just didn’t hold up. After my knee replacement last summer I bought a pair of Hokas (after choking on the price) and love them but they are not for everyone. If you can, go to a running store where they can professionally fit you. It will give you the opportunity to try several brands and find the best for you.

Another PF sufferer here. I did exercises I found online, and I bought off-the-rack orthotics that were supposed to help PF. I have flat feet and the high arches made my feet hurt worse. Still hurting, I saw a podiatrist who again recommended basically the same exercises. He said orthotics don't help for everybody, but said I could try the custom ones and see. I did the exercises several times a day for about 3 weeks with no relief.
After reading these posts, I'm recognizing I probably gave up on the exercises too soon. I'm going to give them another go and try to increase my patience (never my strong point) to stick with it longer.
@Catscankim Thanks for posting this and bringing on so many good suggestions. I hope you find the magic that works for you. Keep us posted.

My feet are killing me. It is really so bad. I might have to just go ahead and get the steroid shots. I went ahead and got the hoka shoes…still no relief. I did everything the dr said, plus anything else i read on the web, plus suggestions from others. Nothing is helping

I was in a meeting yesterday and had to stand a good deal of the time. Later my director said i looked antsy…. I just really couldnt stand that long. It sucked

My feet are killing me. It is really so bad. I might have to just go ahead and get the steroid shots. I went ahead and got the hoka shoes…still no relief. I did everything the dr said, plus anything else i read on the web, plus suggestions from others. Nothing is helping

I was in a meeting yesterday and had to stand a good deal of the time. Later my director said i looked antsy…. I just really couldnt stand that long. It sucked
Hi @Catscankim i have had frozen shoulder and used laser therapy. I now have bursitis in my hip and have had two steroid shots which did not work. Suddenly the light bulb went off and right now i am in the middle of trying the laser therapy. I haven’t had to take any painkillers for the past three weeks, walking is better and I’m hopeful that this just might do the trick. I asked her about laser for heel spur pain for my mom and she said it’s a possibility and also mentioned vibration therapy (not actually the word but i forgot). She said they use it to break up the inflamed tissues. Maybe ask a physiotherapist about these treatments for plantar f.?

It’s just a suggestion…

Wow, so I guess all the cool kids are over here! I too had PF a couple of times. The gamechanger for me was custom orthotics plus weeks of exercises and stretches. As for shoes, I'd wear my dress shoes 24-7 if I could, there's something about the arch support -- my least favorite are my gym shoes. Good luck to you and hang in there. I'm not a doctor but if you've already put out hundreds of dollars, I'd seriously consider the steroid shots.

Have you considered checking with a podiatrist or physical therapist? They might have some valuable insights and recommendations tailored to your specific needs. It could save you from wasting more money on shoes that might not work. Also, have you tried browsing specifically for men sneakers? They tend to have different features and support that could be more suitable for your feet.

I also have PF and RA(rheumatoid arthritis) in my feet. I had custom orthotics in the past. Now I find I can use "SOLE" active thick shoe insole with metatarsal pads. You can heat them in the over to get a more customized fit. For me I can only wear shoes/boots that the sole will not bend. (Before I try any on I see if I can bend them with my hands, if I can I know they won't work for me). Unfortunately, no cheap shoes.

Latest posts

Back