shoe box?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepibarra

Reaction score
So I read that I can use a shoe box for a mold, my question is do I line it just with a gabage sack? How do I do this? I posted another question about cp soap and this will be my first batch ever! I plan on getting everything a little later today and need to know if I can soap possibly this afternoon using RTCP? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it all right.....(fingers crossed)

Almost anything will work as a mold. Well... don't use a shoe or you might have a bit of trouble getting the soap out. ;)

Your shoe box and garbage sack will work (I imagine) although it will be difficult to get the waviness out of the edges of the resultant soap. I haven't tried a shoe box or other cardboard box but I'm just wondering if you wouldn't be better off lining it with freezer paper. The box should already hold the soap without leaking okay, so the real problem is how to get the soap out, and how to get it out without stuff sticking to it. If you use freezer paper you can just peel off the FP after you get it out of the shoe box. If you have any trouble with getting it out of the shoe box just tear off the box since you'll probably toss it anyway. Then you just peel off the FP and cut the soap and you've got bars!

Another good "found" mold is a milk or OJ carton. Or you can get a 3" ABS pipe at the hardware store. Ask if you want info on the 3" and can't find the post elsewhere on this forum.

There is NO need to apologize for asking questions! :) Everybody is here on the forum because they love advice, both asking for it and giving it. In fact we're all madly enthusiastic about our hobby and if we're not here typing about it we're probably thinking about it anyway.

Please do yourself a favor and post any and every question about any matters you aren't completely certain of. I think I can safely say that everybody on the forum wants your soap to come out the best it can be. And please post your recipe particularly if you have any doubt. We can run it through SoapCalc and check and make sure you have the numbers right and maybe provide other suggestions on the recipe.

Many use a Pringles can lined with freezer paper. Measure the diameter of the Pringles can, multiply by pi, and cut the paper liner. Roll tightly, and release inside the can. Pour your soap, the liner slides out of the can. Remember, aluminum and lye is a no, no! :)

Paul

the little old soapy that lived in a shoooooee lol Those USPS postal boxes work great too :) nice and sturdy!

You can use about anything. For 1# batches, I use the box bank checks come in.

Any sturdy box that suits your fancy is fine. Calc the amount of oils it will hold, line it, and soap away. :D

Digit

I've used cardboard boxes with garbage bag liners and freezer paper. The freezer paper is much better. The friend who originally taught me how to make soap used frozen juice containers (the round ones). She didn't line them, just ripped the paper off once the mold had set. I don't recall what she did the the little aluminum bottoms. I like the Pringles can idea. I'll have to give it a try someday.

I'm sure a shoebox would work great- just make sure its the right size for the amount of soap you're making.

Back