Shipping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
just checked my calendar and the first bar of soap I made was in October with friends. so I have soaps from then until now--some CP and some HP. I really want to send some out of state to my son and DIL. how long into the curing process should the bars be before being wrapped up to ship? and what is the best way to do it? I gifted my youngest sons GF at Christmas and put the soaps in different types of bags for pkging and then put them in plastic baggies so the scents didn't mingle too much and just told her to take them out to air dry some more--I just don't know if that is good enough to ship half way across the country. I was thinking of wrapping this in tissue paper and putting in plastic baggies. I also have some silicone packs that I use for dehydrated stuff that I could put in the baggies with the soap. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I wonder if you would be able to use those hydrating crystals used for drying flowers to keep the moisture out of the soap while in the shipping box...I've used those before to keep moisture out of our gun safes...or you might fined them in small bags pre made....Just a thought!!! :) good luck

Any CP or HP soap should be good to ship after 4-6 weeks.

I shrink wrap my soaps, wrap in tissue paper, and mail in a bubble envelope. Some larger orders (I sell) I will pack in a priority mail box with bubble wrap, paper shreds, or whatever cushioning is handy.

I wonder if you would be able to use those hydrating crystals used for drying flowers to keep the moisture out of the soap while in the shipping box...I've used those before to keep moisture out of our gun safes...or you might fined them in small bags pre made....Just a thought!!! :) good luck
I have the gel pacs so I will throw some in there too!!

You don’t need anything like that in the box. I ship soaps across the country on a regular basis. They have shrink wrap bands which are open on both ends. I put bubble wrap or tissue or peanuts in the box to cushion then ship.

Any CP or HP soap should be good to ship after 4-6 weeks.

I shrink wrap my soaps, wrap in tissue paper, and mail in a bubble envelope. Some larger orders (I sell) I will pack in a priority mail box with bubble wrap, paper shreds, or whatever cushioning is handy.
thank you, I will have to wait a couple weeks to send a few more types. I do have other things to ship with it so I will definitely be using bubble wrap. I suppose if I wrap the soap in the tissue paper first that it would possibly stick to the soap?

You don’t need anything like that in the box. I ship soaps across the country on a regular basis. They have shrink wrap bands which are open on both ends. I put bubble wrap or tissue or peanuts in the box to cushion then ship.
thank you!!

I suppose if I wrap the soap in the tissue paper first that it would possibly stick to the soap?
It shouldn't stick to CP soap. At outdoor shows when it is hot and humid I have noticed that exposed areas of soap will feel "sticky" - the glycerine in the soap is attracting moisture, so it feels tacky, but I can blot with a paper towel and the towel doesn't stick to the soap like it would if it were touching something sticky (think adhesive residue or honey, if you've ever tried tackling those with a paper towel). That said, if your soap feels sticky before wrapping, you might want to take a closer look at your recipe.

Depending on how much you are shipping, check out the USPS regional boxes.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-regional-rate-box---a1-P_RRB_A1

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc...What-is-Priority-Mail-Regional-Rate-shipping-

It's a PITA to figure out because for some reason they don't have a map of the zones. You order the boxes online from the USPS - they are free, your mail carrier will deliver them. But you do have to create an account. When you are ready to ship, you sign in. You pay online and print a label. I just print it on a piece of paper and then cover it with clear tape. But this might be the cheapest way to go.

It shouldn't stick to CP soap. At outdoor shows when it is hot and humid I have noticed that exposed areas of soap will feel "sticky" - the glycerine in the soap is attracting moisture, so it feels tacky, but I can blot with a paper towel and the towel doesn't stick to the soap like it would if it were touching something sticky (think adhesive residue or honey, if you've ever tried tackling those with a paper towel). That said, if your soap feels sticky before wrapping, you might want to take a closer look at your recipe.
thanks!!

Depending on how much you are shipping, check out the USPS regional boxes.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-regional-rate-box---a1-P_RRB_A1

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc...What-is-Priority-Mail-Regional-Rate-shipping-

It's a PITA to figure out because for some reason they don't have a map of the zones. You order the boxes online from the USPS - they are free, your mail carrier will deliver them. But you do have to create an account. When you are ready to ship, you sign in. You pay online and print a label. I just print it on a piece of paper and then cover it with clear tape. But this might be the cheapest way to go.
thank you--I will have to figure something out about the labels cuz my printer is down, might be library time

You’ve got some great answers but I’m just going to add what I do for the sake of something a bit different.

At most I hand write out labels and cut paper into strips for cigar bands. Since most of my soap is all from the same molds they stack together just fine and I pile it all in a box, nothing special to cushion it. I regularly send my sister soaps (Michigan to Oregon) and have used this method to send to Germany. No complaints from any of the recipients unless I included an experimental recipe that didn’t quite work out.

You really dont have to do anything special if you dont want to. I’m sure soap would survive a nuclear apocalypse if made correctly (but dont quote me on that, I dont science)

Latest posts

Back