Shipping Woes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
This may be an all-time low with WSP. Fifteen days since I placed my order and it's still 'pending shipment'. A $50+ order for just 2 items and over 2 weeks later...still pending shipment. Yet when I attempted to add some items from the weekend deals there was no option to add them to the 'pending shipment'?
Per a different vendor: I was placing an order with CandleScience and the shipping cost for my 12 pound order was $33 - more than double what I paid 3 months ago for the same stuff!! I needed these items for the holiday season, so I played around with the weights of things I could stock up on and ended up with a shipping charge of $46 for a 50 pound order instead.
But what gives? My first thought was Hurricane Ida, for which I would have full empathy and patience, but neither of these companies were impacted by the storm.

I've been placing orders with WSP for 7 years; about twice a year and it wasn't unusual for me to wait 1 to 3 weeks for it to ship. Candlescience - according to candle groups I'm on - has been dropping the ball in a lot of areas. Shipping costs are just becoming outrageous.

This may be an all-time low with WSP. Fifteen days since I placed my order and it's still 'pending shipment'. A $50+ order for just 2 items and over 2 weeks later...still pending shipment. Yet when I attempted to add some items from the weekend deals there was no option to add them to the 'pending shipment'?
Per a different vendor: I was placing an order with CandleScience and the shipping cost for my 12 pound order was $33 - more than double what I paid 3 months ago for the same stuff!! I needed these items for the holiday season, so I played around with the weights of things I could stock up on and ended up with a shipping charge of $46 for a 50 pound order instead.
But what gives? My first thought was Hurricane Ida, for which I would have full empathy and patience, but neither of these companies were impacted by the storm.
This is from WSP’s website.

Customers can "add to an order" online, using the website checkout: When you use this feature, the second order can be added to a pending order of your choice, helping to avoid additional handling fees and minimum order requirements. To add to a pending order, simply place a new order and select the add to order option on the final page prior to check out as shown Here.

I'm in the same boat. I went through all my WSP orders and this order is by far the longest they have taken to ship.

I've learned I can't order things I need soon from WSP. I order mostly "things that would be nice to have some day" with "some day" being the day they show up. :smallshrug:

Nuture and Fragrance Buddy are very quick shippers, and much to my amazement, Brambleberry has gotten a lot quicker. Unfortunately, Nuture and FB don't carry a whole line of supplies, so I have used Amazon often when I discover I'm low on something. It may be a buck or two more (often it's not), but when I need lye or castor oil, it's usually here within two days.

I'm having the same problem with WSP. It took a total of 4 weeks to get my order and still one did not show. I asked them to cancel the last item, a fragrance oil I was going to try. But I like their sales and butters so I guess I just need to plan way ahead... shipping from other sites I've noticed have gone up...I'm learning that I really like Nurture's shipping as @Carly B said, but I agree as far as some supplies.

I think it's a combination of things...they have spread themselves way too thin when they acquired Elements and RE. A lot of companies were affected by the shut down last year getting supplies (like bottles) and haven't fully recovered. There is a shortage of truck drivers...we have a few clients that were looking to expand their operations, but have put it on hold because of the shortage; they are also having to pay higher wages to keep the drivers they have and that means increased shipping costs. And then there is sometimes an attitude of "Whatcha gonna do about it?".

I was having huge problems with BB, it was taking close to three weeks and I'm only six hours away. So I simply quit ordering from them. I waited five months and then placed a couple of small orders; shipping was better, but still not what it used to be. This time I waited eight months and then placed a small order...less than one week.

I think it's a combination of things...they have spread themselves way too thin when they acquired Elements and RE. A lot of companies were affected by the shut down last year getting supplies (like bottles) and haven't fully recovered. There is a shortage of truck drivers...we have a few clients that were looking to expand their operations, but have put it on hold because of the shortage; they are also having to pay higher wages to keep the drivers they have and that means increased shipping costs. And then there is sometimes an attitude of "Whatcha gonna do about it?".

Drive past the loading docks in San Pedro, CA, or just drive down PCH to see the Freighters that cannot get unloaded. The docks are inundated for numerous reasons, one being not enough truckers to offload the containers full of supplies. It is a very frightening sight, which I am sure is happening at other ports of entry for freighters. One of the issues in Long Beach/San Pedro even though the loading docks were updated and expanded they are still not large enough to accommodate the larger freighters combining in which are taking up the loading docks. Freighters are getting larger carrying many more containers so guess what happens. You now create a backlog of ships waiting to unload their freight. It is a vicious circle. We have actually heard of ships turning around and going home with their freight, this will cause the overseas manufacturers to stop selling to the US companies so the mess does not end it only worsens. So buckle up for a rough ride. I cannot even imagine the frustration of the suppliers so I am very glad I retired from this business when I did.

Drive past the loading docks in San Pedro, CA, or just drive down PCH to see the Freighters that cannot get unloaded. The docks are inundated for numerous reasons, one being not enough truckers to offload the containers full of supplies. It is a very frightening sight, which I am sure is happening at other ports of entry for freighters. One of the issues in Long Beach/San Pedro even though the loading docks were updated and expanded they are still not large enough to accommodate the larger freighters combining in which are taking up the loading docks. Freighters are getting larger carrying many more containers so guess what happens. You now create a backlog of ships waiting to unload their freight. It is a vicious circle. We have actually heard of ships turning around and going home with their freight, this will cause the overseas manufacturers to stop selling to the US companies so the mess does not end it only worsens. So buckle up for a rough ride. I cannot even imagine the frustration of the suppliers so I am very glad I retired from this business when I did.
Longshoremen must be making a mint with all that OT. Considered joining when I was in CA but if course back then there was a huge labor supply. Glad I never went through with the driver route though, they still don't get paid enough IMO.

I was having huge problems with BB, it was taking close to three weeks and I'm only six hours away. So I simply quit ordering from them. I waited five months and then placed a couple of small orders; shipping was better, but still not what it used to be. This time I waited eight months and then placed a small order...less than one week.
Haven't tried BB in a long time. Last order I placed had broken items and they fixed it. I find their prices are steep for me. Glad to hear the shipping is better because that was an annoyance for years. Sometimes I go browse their store but don't buy. They brought back a customer loyalty program but I'm honestly over it and don't care anymore.

I told them straight up that getting rid of the freebie program was the worst thing they could have done. Customers love to feel appreciated. Not everyone will agree with this but I was honestly mad when they scrapped that.

I love WSP but I'm not paying $15 for faster shipping every time I order.

I'm okay with waiting for an order if there is communication about it and I'm not left wondering what the heck is going on. It's also good to know how long things will take so you can plan if you are needing an item for something specific.

They brought back a customer loyalty program but I'm honestly over it and don't care anymore.

Right now I get all my oils, butters, SL and NaOH locally...Costco and Shay & Company. Cocoa Butter is a little high, but they have Will Call and I can pickup the same day I order so the savings and convenience makes it more than than a wash. They went through an expansion this last year and now carry 95 EO and 23 FOs; that may not sound like a lot but two years ago I think they had less than a dozen total.

And I am really trying to not get dependent on any one company for colorants and scents, but sometimes it's hard.

Right now I get all my oils, butters, SL and NaOH locally...Costco and Shay & Company. Cocoa Butter is a little high, but they have Will Call and I can pickup the same day I order so the savings and convenience makes it more than than a wash. They went through an expansion this last year and now carry 95 EO and 23 FOs; that may not sound like a lot but two years ago I think they had less than a dozen total.

And I am really trying to not get dependent on any one company for colorants and scents, but sometimes it's hard.
You are very smart!

Latest posts

Back