Shipping TOG to Canada?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that only the person sending the item could send the item as a gift, meaning that someone couldn't buy an item for someone else, and ask the seller to mark it as a gift. Because then anyone could have the package sent to a friend and consider it a loophole and get away with paying the duty on it.

But you would need to contact your postmaster or postmistress to be sure. And I would suggest you contact your post office before you mail out a purchase for a customer marked as a gift even if it was in writing. Just to cover your own butt.

:) Faithy I understand what you're saying and it does seem like there is a loop hole that can be take advantage of. I would make sure there is a CYB paper trail.

It would be hard to justify purchasing a mold as a gift for someone, but I plan to sell my soaps online and let's say someone wants to purchase a soap and have it sent to a friend/relative I would like to accomodate them. As I mentioned earlier, my DH did that for my Christmas gift and it even came gift wrapped. We were expecting to pay full shipping charges and duty, but they said there were none.

Because the charge wouldn't be the respsonsibility of the seller, but your shipping agent then it really wouldn't be advantageous to the seller to say it was a gift if it really wasn't.

I want to be able to accomodate my customers without causing any problems with my postmistress.

pink-north said:
I would make sure there is a CYB paper trail.

I don't know what the rules are in Canada, but here in the states I don't think ignorance would get very far and the seller that sent the packages would still be charged a fine and who knows what else.

I'm going to ask my local postmistress tomorrow when I pop by the post office to drop off packages for my sales.

Me too Faithy. I have about 6 orders to ship out today and am going to talk to her about this. I don't want to be dishonest at all, and hope my customers understand this. It would be interesting to know if someone who truly is buying a product as a bonafide gift, how that works. :?

Paul.. :wink:

I will do the same thing. I don't want to be dishonest either. I'm probably jumping the gun (as I don't have any orders yet), but I like to be prepared. I would suggest the buyer pay the extra for the duty, but I don't think that can be arranged from the sellers end. I'll be popping into the post-office later like I said. Hope they can clear this up for me.

Thanks for your help guys

Back