Shipping Prices are murder!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased something from Camden-grey:

Castor oil - 1 lb.
Palm kernel oil - 2 lbs.
Cocoa butter - 1 lb.
Grapefruit seed extract 1/8 lb
Chocolate fragrance oil - 2 oz.
Disposable @8-3/4 in. long pipettes (50)
Coconut oil 76 deg - 7 lbs.
Palm oil, 7 lbs.

Shipping: UPS Ground: $24.62
Order Total: $88.97

I think I paid the most expensive S&H, compare to all of you. The total weight only 19lb, but I paid more than Jeff (he has 42 lb oils and only pay $15.XX)

I absolutely won't order from them again.

And I also order from WSP.
2 bottles of 2oz FO
Wavy soap cutter
4 oz EO
4 wooden soap dishes
1lb shea butter

Total $38.85, s&h is $9.95. It is pretty light weight too, but I think it is acceptable.

It seems Soaper Choice has the cheapest S&H.

Ed,

I have never gotten/needed a refund from WSP. Their phone number is listed on the site. I would call them. They have a flat rate shipping fee though, I think it is 6.95 for orders under $25.00 & that should have applied.

As for my order from bittercreek, I chose the cheapest, UPS ground & when I put in the zipcodes it came at Fed/Ex (or UPS, I don't remember which they use) It said the cost was $7.00. (I was charged 15) I don't mind a fair handleing fee but I want it disclosed.

Supplies

I order all my supplies online. I stay away from West Coast suppliers, cuz shipping costs from Cali to Detroit are just...monstrous. I will be ordering from Brambleberry, though — just for FOs.

I order from WSP, OBN and I'm about to order from The Original Soap Dish, in Indiana. I'm ordering 5lbs of Shea Butter, 5lbs of Mango Butter, 32 ounces each of Sunflower, Castor and Sweet Almond Oils, 4lbs of lye, 1lb of Goatsmilk powder, and (2) 4oz FOs. My shipping is a little over $10, and the transit time is one day (estimated).

I was going to order from WSP, but they don't sell lye, and the butters are sold at 3lbs or...25lbs. I want more than 3lbs, but not 25lbs.

So, as I stated in another forum, when it comes to shipping costs, you have to weigh everything — gas is money. The convenience of being able to purchase EVERYTHING I need to make soap, from one location, with no tax, and no driving around to 5 different places, can actually be more cost effective.

I wish WSP and OBN sold lye.

Re: Supplies

NEASoapWorks said:
So, as I stated in another forum, when it comes to shipping costs, you have to weigh everything — gas is money. The convenience of being able to purchase EVERYTHING I need to make soap, from one location, with no tax, and no driving around to 5 different places, can actually be more cost effective.

I wish WSP and OBN sold lye.

Agreed. Even if I could find everything out here in Vegas, I don't think I would even want to try to start driving all over town, in traffic, in the heat, in the crowds...looking for oils. No thank you.

I get my lye from www.snowdriftfarm.com I have YET to find a site were I can get EVERYTHING in one shot.

Lane said:
I have YET to find a site were I can get EVERYTHING in one shot.

WSP and The Original Soap Dish are very close. The Original Soap Dish doesn't sell OO, and WSP doesn't sell lye. WSP has a decent number of FOs — TOSD, not as much.

If WSP sold lye, I would probaby order all my staples from them — with OBN (their oils selection/sizes are great!), Brambleberry and SweetCakes, for FOs, on the side.

Lane said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Brambleberry and SweetCakes, for FOs, on the side.

Do you use any of the WSP FO's?

Nope. I'm including their "Georgia Peach" and "Fresh Linen", with today's order. I was going to order from TOSD, but I changed my mind, because WSP has a better selection of FOs. Plus, I do love WSP.

I ended up ordering lye from Certified Lye. First time, with them.

NEASoapWorks said:
Lane said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Brambleberry and SweetCakes, for FOs, on the side.

Do you use any of the WSP FO's?

Nope. I'm including their "Georgia Peach" and "Fresh Linen", with today's order. I was going to order from TOSD, but I changed my mind, because WSP has a better selection of FOs. Plus, I do love WSP.

I ended up ordering lye from Certified Lye. First time, with them.

I REALLY want to try the Budget Buster Cherry.... Placing my first WSP order tomorrow, crossing my fingers the FO's rock.

I keep the following fo's from WSP instock year round:
Love Spell
Secret Crush
Garden Mint
Calm Water
Mango Sorbet
Raspberry Granita
Vanilla Bean Noel
Lemon Meringue
Cinnamon Frosting
Frosted snowdrop
Flowering Herb
Lemon Lavender

I have also enjoyed other scents like:
Chocolate Fondue
Blooming Tulip
Cool Water
(& others that slip my mind)

Tabitha

@Tabitha,

Oh LAWD! Now you got me wantin' to go back to WSP and order MORE!!!
I just calculated my Brambleberry FO order (when tax refund comes) and it's at $160.00

:(

Re: Tabitha

NEASoapWorks said:
@Tabitha,

Oh LAWD! Now you got me wantin' to go back to WSP and order MORE!!!
I just calculated my Brambleberry FO order (when tax refund comes) and it's at $160.00

:(

Wowee! Yeah...BB can get spend if you use the large amounts...I will give you that... But after using every type of FO possible, I settled that they were the best...plus they send you free stuff. :D

I will however say... I am giving WSP a try and I really look froward to trying some of the scents everyone has suggested!

Re: Tabitha

Lane said:
Wowee! Yeah...BB can get spend if you use the large amounts...I will give you that... But after using every type of FO possible, I settled that they were the best...plus they send you free stuff. :D

I will however say... I am giving WSP a try and I really look froward to trying some of the scents everyone has suggested!

That's 10 FOs, all 8oz sizes. CRAYZEE!!!! :shock:
The shipping is over $20. That's why I'm gonna hit 'em hard, and then back off for awhile. Let's not EVEN mention SweetCakes — SUPER expensive FOs (close to $20 for some of their 8oz FOs), and yes, I plan on hittin' them up too.

I am making myself use all the little 1 & 2ozers of fo's I have lying about before I order anything new. I eat up all of my profits *trying* stuff, new scents, new containers, new products, etc.

Tabitha said:
I am making myself use all the little 1 & 2ozers of fo's I have lying about before I order anything new. I eat up all of my profits *trying* stuff, new scents, new containers, new products, etc.

I hear ya! I do the saaaaaaaame thing.

Postage just keeps getting steeper and steeper. Colorado Organics opened up almost a year ago and it is a life saver. I order online and have them hold my order until I have a trip to Denver. By the way they have t their coconut oil, and other oils on sale. I like their stuff.

Here's their site in case anyone is interested.

http://coloradoorganics.net/

TAS

TAS, I spent my Jr year in Golden. Co has an awesome school system IMHO!

Tabitha said:
TAS, I spent my Jr year in Golden. Co has an awesome school system IMHO!
I moved her in '02. Man the beauty around me takes my breath away. I'm a happy girl - happier now that I don't have to pay shipping on 50 lbs of coconut oil. :!:
TAS

hi Tabitha,

thank you for your WSP list. I am wondering that have you tried:

Citrus Cilantro
Cucumber Mint
Cucumber Cantaloupe
Mango Papaya

Back