Shipping (out) cost.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...My issue is the cost of shipping compared to the price of the product....

I'm really sensitive to it too, but I can't see how to ship small orders for much less than about $8 per package, unless you get into shipping via USPS first class and ignore incidental expenses related to shipping. To be honest, it doesn't make sense to ship a single bar or two of soap.

I totally agree it's painful to see a person spend $15 on merchandise and pay another $8 for the shipping, but that's how it is. I don't make a lot of profit on $15 items and I ship a lot of those, especially around Christmas time. I can't realistically discount shipping on small orders and expect to stay in the black. I ship about 500 packages a year, so I need to know what it costs me to ship all those packages and make sure that expense is covered.

When I order supplies, I estimate my shipping cost will be 20-30% of my merchandise cost for orders under a few hundred dollars. For orders above that, the shipping is more like 8% to 15% of the merchandise cost. Buying larger amounts makes shipping a lot more economical, but it's hard to apply this "buy big" model to bars of handmade soap.

FYI, all of my sent boxes cost about $7.60 to send, and I charge $8.
And like I said before I do not use padded envelopes. Mailmen toss these things all over and I don't want to have a customer complain about the product being damaged.

As a customer, I have learned that the shipping costs are part of the cost of ordering online, (or by catalogue, before online ordering even existed.) When I want a product enough, and can only get it by having it shipped to me, that's what I do. That doesn't stop me from shopping around for the best deal, but when I find what I want, if I have to pay a little more and no one else has it, that's what I do or I go without.

Remember that shipping costs offset the cost of me having to drive somewhere (or take public transportation when & if that is an option, which it's not very often considering where I currently live) and all the hassles of shopping in person for whatever product I want. When I do travel a fair distance to purchase what I want, it tends to be quite costly and can really cut into a huge chunk of time.

As a customer, I have learned that the shipping costs are part of the cost of ordering online, (or by catalogue, before online ordering even existed.) When I want a product enough, and can only get it by having it shipped to me, that's what I do. That doesn't stop me from shopping around for the best deal, but when I find what I want, if I have to pay a little more and no one else has it, that's what I do or I go without.

Remember that shipping costs offset the cost of me having to drive somewhere (or take public transportation when & if that is an option, which it's not very often considering where I currently live) and all the hassles of shopping in person for whatever product I want. When I do travel a fair distance to purchase what I want, it tends to be quite costly and can really cut into a huge chunk of time.

What she said!!!!!!

Shipping costs are the reason I don’t like to sell online. I’ve set up a local pick up or flat $7.95 rate option. Most people pick up. People who do buy online buy enough that I can ship usually for $7.95 either flat rate or regular mail cost. I’ve only eaten a few overages.

I’ve also tried a subscription box. It didn’t really go well. I spent more time figuring out the schedule of what goes in the box than what paid off.

Latest posts

Back