Shipping costs!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARJRD

Reaction score
I just looked through the FO Review spreadsheet (AWESOME!) and picked a couple of FOs that I would like to buy from Brambleberry. However, the shipping cost is MORE than the FOs! Is there a supplier who offers free (or reasonable) shipping? I don't make soap that often so I don't want to buy a ton of oils.
Any suggestions?

Helllllooooo. Sadly, the shipping costs through wholesalers can be outrageous, compared to what you're buying. I would recommend searching for LOCAL suppliers. If you can't find one, just do some searches for soapmaking/candlemaking. You'll get a lot of options. I only have one local supplier to tx and its great, the shipping makes me happy. I enjoy WellingtonFragrance , as they are not local to TX but they have great prices for quantity, I've been using them for years. Except when you purchase glass...then it gets pricey. LOL But hey, it takes money to make money. Hope this helps in your new venture. :)

I just looked through the FO Review spreadsheet (AWESOME!) and picked a couple of FOs that I would like to buy from Brambleberry. However, the shipping cost is MORE than the FOs! Is there a supplier who offers free (or reasonable) shipping? I don't make soap that often so I don't want to buy a ton of oils.
Any suggestions?

Brambleberry is cheap considering their FOs/EOs come in glass bottles. I was going through Rustic Escentuals for the bulk of my FOs, but their Shipping prices went through the roof a few months after they were purchased by WSP; same with Elements.

You can try Nurture Soap...free shipping with orders of $30.00+

Camden Grey has free shipping for orders over $100 right now, which is really just a couple of bottles of anything these days. I do like their EOs, and their prices on many of my faves are cheaper right now than WSP.

Any suggestions?
Though this won't help at the moment, Brambleberry occasionally offers free shipping. The last time was in the fall. So get on their email list and keep an eye out for the next time it's offered.

Has anyone had any success with FOs purchased from Amazon/free shpping?

No to Amazon. Nature's Garden has always been the most reasonable. I like soapsupplies.net but she does not carry a large inventory. Paige still has flat rate shipping. I have used many of her FO's over the years. While WSP offers "Free Shipping" it is not free, it is figured on each item you purchase so if you only purchase a few items you may come out ahead but on large orders, it can be expensive shipping.

Has anyone had any success with FOs purchased from Amazon/free shpping?

As tempting as it might be...I wouldn't. Most of the stuff you'll find on Amazon, while it says it can be used in soap making, it really isn't make for soap making. Nature's Oil MIGHT be okay if you're doing liquid soap or M&P since that is what they sell on their website, but their prices are high in comparison to a regular soap supplier like BrambleBerry, Nurture Soap, etc.

No to amazon. As for the prices, thank the post master general for that. Before he took over, the price for shipping was much more reasonable through usps. Now I just suck it up and deal. No other choice. I think you can write part of it off on your taxes but not sure about that.

No to amazon. As for the prices, thank the post master general for that. Before he took over, the price for shipping was much more reasonable through usps. Now I just suck it up and deal. No other choice. I think you can write part of it off on your taxes but not sure about that.
Most of the increase in shipping prices is directly due to the rising cost of fuel. If you are selling, you can write off all shipping costs, both sending and receiving, as a business expense.

The sad reality is that now I can only purchase from suppliers that are near me. I live in the east and no longer purchase from any suppliers in the west. I used to always purchase from Brambleberry, but it is no longer cost effective for me, so I unfortunately had to stop. :(

The sad reality is that now I can only purchase from suppliers that are near me. I live in the east and no longer purchase from any suppliers in the west. I used to always purchase from Brambleberry, but it is no longer cost effective for me, so I unfortunately had to stop. :(
As another easterner I’m interested in what suppliers you use. I’m in NH.

I have had some luck purchasing FOs from Amazon as several large companies sell through them (Essential Depot to name one) and I am able to purchase freight free (for most things). I am careful to buy the smallest amount the first time to make sure I like what I am getting. Amazon is not my “go-to” but I have used them successfully. For EOs, however, I prefer New Directions.

I believe WSP bought Just Scents, located in Ohio, and their shipping costs have more than DOUBLED in the last couple of months. I compared shipping costs from other suppliers in Ohio: Natures Garden and Wellington shipping USPS Ground and they ship for half and below half the cost. Even companies like Pure Fragrance Oils from California, which is farther from me than Ohio ship for 11.95, which is less than double the cost from Just Scents. Very disappointing when you can no longer purchase your favorite fragrance oils because some companies pad their shipping costs. So I will just stick with Fragrance Buddy, out of Georgia which ships Flat Rate Free and they have reasonable prices on their oils. I have used several oils from there and had success in Cold Process Soap.

I believe WSP bought Just Scents, located in Ohio, and their shipping costs have more than DOUBLED in the last couple of months.

That's what happened with Rustic Escentals and Elements Bath & Body. And if you pull up all three websites, you'll find that outside of the front page, they are exactly the same.

Back