Shimmery Bath Bomb Water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitterMoonCo

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with bath bombs lately and I can't get the shimmery water that I want. I use around a teaspoon of mica (I plan on weighing my ingredients next time I make some though.) Are there certain micas that make the water shimmery? Do I need to just add wayyy more? Or does anyone have any recipe recommendations that I could purchase? Thanks for the help!

I've been experimenting with bath bombs lately and I can't get the shimmery water that I want. I use around a teaspoon of mica (I plan on weighing my ingredients next time I make some though.) Are there certain micas that make the water shimmery? Do I need to just add wayyy more? Or does anyone have any recipe recommendations that I could purchase? Thanks for the help!
Try using some bioglitter. It creates a nice sparkle. You can get a nice white/silver sparkle.

Honestly though, I don't know whether it would suspend in bath well even with like polysorbates?

When you pearlise and get sparkle you need to use something suspend it.

Like in this (not good photo as it was just taken for my records)
IMG_20211030_143245.jpg

they went into a stainless steel pump so can't see unless pumping it.. hopefully you can see it's suspended in the shower gel. But this is done by gelling process.

I can't imagine mica suspending in bath water that way.

Hello! When you say you use a teaspoon of mica, how does that compare to the size of your whole batch? Brambleberry recommends 1/8 - 2 tsps per pound of bath bomb mix - I use that range as a starting point and it's worked out well. If you go up to 2 tsp per pound make sure you have enough poly 80 in your recipe to help disperse the mica well. Poly 80 is what will disperse the mica throughout the water and give it the shimmery look you see from other makers, instead of it just floating weirdly at the surface of the water. :)

You'll also want to look for a high micron size relative to other micas - the higher the micron size, the more shimmery it will be!

You want fluophlogopite, (think that’s how it’s spelled). You have to use quite a bit. I make a bath powder that colors the water and gives that shimmer effect. The “color me plenty” type glitters/micas have it. I’ve got some from nurture and WSP and possibly Mad Micas.

Back