Shelf Life

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I regret not keeping soaps to test shelf life yet. But, I’ve just gotten my formula the way I like it the last couple of months. What could I recommend to folks who use them at this point? And, I am keeping some from the current batch to test going forward. The ingredients are tallow, RBO, AVO, CO, castor oil, a little sugar and SL, and %5 EO. Any suggestions?

Letting them know what the ingredients are is number one. People are allergic to things you wouldn't even think about.

Then just tell them what kind of feedback you are looking for. You might let them know what to expect from the soap, especially if they have never used homemade soap before. To me there is a big difference between your handmade soap and the soap you buy at the store.

I give all my testers a soap bag, so that it's just as convenient and easy to use as liquid soap. Let them know how important it is to let the soap dry in between uses and don't let it sit in water. I'm sure there is stuff that I can't think of right now but others will chime in I'm sure.

Letting them know what the ingredients are is number one. People are allergic to things you wouldn't even think about.

Then just tell them what kind of feedback you are looking for. You might let them know what to expect from the soap, especially if they have never used homemade soap before. To me there is a big difference between your handmade soap and the soap you buy at the store.

I give all my testers a soap bag, so that it's just as convenient and easy to use as liquid soap. Let them know how important it is to let the soap dry in between uses and don't let it sit in water. I'm sure there is stuff that I can't think of right now but others will chime in I'm sure.
Wondering about shelf life specifically.

I have saved a bar from every batch made in the last 3 years, (I have 3 shoe boxes full) I find that soaps last indefinitely, (so far, LOL). Some may lose some or all of their scent, but the soaps, for the purpose of soap, are fine. Any DOS found were traced to a metal rack I had put them on (before knowing better). I include a "caring for your soaps" card with every purchase. As someone else mentioned, many people do not know how to store, use, prolong life, etc of handmade soaps.

I have saved a bar from every batch made in the last 3 years, (I have 3 shoe boxes full) I find that soaps last indefinitely, (so far, LOL). Some may lose some or all of their scent, but the soaps, for the purpose of soap, are fine. Any DOS found were traced to a metal rack I had put them on (before knowing better). I include a "caring for your soaps" card with every purchase. As someone else mentioned, many people do not know how to store, use, prolong life, etc of handmade soaps.
Thank you. That’s reassuring.

Back