Shelf life of castor oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a gallon of it as I thought it lasted 2 years after opening, another source says 1 year. How do I take care of it? Vitamin E? ROE? Both? Start making massive amounts of soap and hand out bars to every human body I come across??

I would transfer it to 16oz. bottles/jars and refrigerate it. Or, maybe even freeze it. I have frozen other oils and have had no problem with it whatsoever.

Goodness, I have some castor about 3 or 4 years old and it's perfectly fine (doesn't smell bad or look bad and the viscosity has not changed). I store it at room temp in my closet. Never added any ROE or vitamin E to it either.

Does your smell bad? That would be my first indicator that it has gone off.

IrishLass :)

No, the castor is brand new. I bought a gallon because the price was so much better than buying a pint as an add on item from Amazon, and I always use castor in my recipe. I thought it had a 2 yr shelf life, but guess it's only one. Can't hurt to separate into smaller bottles and refrigerate it I suppose.

I also got a bucket of co....more than a gallon. I'm just a hobbyist, so there's something intimidating about staring at these huge containers of oils sitting on the shelf.....more than the 50lb boxes of lard and tallow I got because I use them at more than 50%!

Back