Shea vs Mango Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may need to start a different thread, please let me know. But as I’m reading this I’m wondering why kokum butter isn’t mentioned along with cocoa, shea and mango as option? I’m a vegetarian ( not vegan) so I don’t use animal fats ( other than goat milk) , my husband is allergic to shea and my mother and daughter to cocoa butter. I try to go low on coconut. So I’m trying kokum but as you mentioned wondering about the cost. I still need to do my math for bars. I did make Zany’s No Slime Castile last night and waiting to unmold! The sea-goat milk may make a bit of difference.....

I may need to start a different thread, please let me know. But as I’m reading this I’m wondering why kokum butter isn’t mentioned along with cocoa, shea and mango as option? I’m a vegetarian ( not vegan) so I don’t use animal fats ( other than goat milk) , my husband is allergic to shea and my mother and daughter to cocoa butter. I try to go low on coconut. So I’m trying kokum but as you mentioned wondering about the cost. I still need to do my math for bars. I did make Zany’s No Slime Castile last night and waiting to unmold! The sea-goat milk may make a bit of difference.....

Probably because kokum butter is about double the cost of cocoa butter (depending on where you source it). You could use 10% in soap, though if you have it and want to give it a try.

@earlene thank you! Originally I got books that have the substitutes and kokum and babassu were listed. So after looking at the recipes I would see I didn’t have the choices and on a plunge I bought kokum, hemp, babassu... thinking I better. Since I started making my own recipes I’m figuring stuff out more but I have these I need to use.. now I need to figure out how to make it work for everyone without having a gazillion recipes and keep the cost down. It seems easy for me to get distracted with don’t use palm, animal fat is a nope, I’m allergic to.. etc etc etc..

@earlene thank you! Originally I got books that have the substitutes and kokum and babassu were listed. So after looking at the recipes I would see I didn’t have the choices and on a plunge I bought kokum, hemp, babassu... thinking I better. Since I started making my own recipes I’m figuring stuff out more but I have these I need to use.. now I need to figure out how to make it work for everyone without having a gazillion recipes and keep the cost down. It seems easy for me to get distracted with don’t use palm, animal fat is a nope, I’m allergic to.. etc etc etc..
I'd recommend giving soy wax a try. It's reasonably priced, vegan, makes the soap hard and adds a nice lather. I use 20% in most of my recipes. You can find quite a few threads about soy wax here on the forum, if you're considering it.

I purchase at Soaper's Choice and Mango and Cocoa Butter are similar pricing at about $5 pound. I purchase Mango for lotion bars and whipped butters. It isn't as greasy as shea and I like the result blending shea with mango for those. I haven't used enough in soap to really notice the difference.

Latest posts

Back