Shea vs Mango Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been using Shea and Cocoa Butter in most all of my recipes. I’ve been thinking about trying Mango Butter. For those who have used both mango and Shea, is there much of a difference? Do you prefer one over the other and why? Mango is quite a lot more expensive from what I’m seeing. Thanks!

Mango and shea butter are totally different to me. both are nice in their own right but mango butter seemed more astringent in soap when used alone.
That tracks, Mango has a higher sap value. I have both, and while Shea is the harder butter, I feel like Mango makes a slightly harder bar. I also feel like Mango traces just a little faster for me than Cocoa or Shea butter, but that could easily be a matter of source. I originally bought Mango butter for body butter, then realized I hate it in that, so I'm soaping it and also deciding if it's worth it. It's expensive enough that if I'm using it at all, I try to use enough to make a difference in the recipe over using Shea.

The big difference for me is price.
I’m no expert but I can’t tell a direct difference in my soap between the two.
I’m going to try it in some leave on products to see if I like it.

The big difference for me is price.
I’m no expert but I can’t tell a direct difference in my soap between the two.
I’m going to try it in some leave on products to see if I like it.
From all my research that’s what I’m gathering when it comes to soap. I’m going to stick with Shea. Mango was $15.00 for a pound when I was at C&S last week and I couldn’t justify it.

I have a pound of Mango Butter, haven't used it yet. But for the price, I'll probably limit its use to 'luxury' bars.

I don't see a big difference between mango and shea in soap, but I absolutely do in balms. It definitely improves the outcome for my skin to mix mango and shea together in my balm.

So I save the more expensive mango for the body products, and use the less expensive shea in soap.

I have seen this question posed on other forums, one of the common responses from experienced soapers is that soap is a wash off product, as opposed to say a lotion. Most of the benefits of a luxury oil will head down the drain. Just thought I would share this with you all, what do you folks think?

Where I am Shea costs more if not the same as Mango Butter. Probably the distance from the source.. Ghana vs. India. I still use less mango butter coz shea butter suppliers are more numerous and I'm always worried about running out of mango butter haha. Both are expensive haha compared to let's say sweet almond or avocado oil.

My only one comparison for soap is when my triple butter used to be a double butter lol. It's much harder now with the adding of mango butter.

I agree with @AliOop, in balms and lotion bars the feeling is different without the mango and I like with better. My lotion bar is also triple butter, used to be double only too.

I have seen this question posed on other forums, one of the common responses from experienced soapers is that soap is a wash off product, as opposed to say a lotion. Most of the benefits of a luxury oil will head down the drain. Just thought I would share this with you all, what do you folks think?
Yes, soap is a wash-off product.

But if that were the end of the story, all of us could and and probably would keep using mass-produced, inexpensive, store-bought soap, which wouldn't cause us to suffer from itchy skin, dermatitis, FO-migraines, etc.

And if soap has no other effects except cleaning, we wouldn't experience the positive results from handcrafted soap, either. Mine include: no scent-induced migraines, no more peeling patches on my body, no more itchy dermatitis, and (my husband) greatly reduced eczema and psoriasis. My unscented lard-GM-colloidal oat soap is the only one I've ever - in my life - been able to use on my face without either breakouts or severe and instant skin peeling.

So to those who say "soap is just a wash-off product," my response is "yes, but it is still a balance" - and that balance depends on a lot on the individual using the soap. Everyone has to find what works for them.

If 100% expensive vegan luxury butters and oils with a high SF works best for your skin, and you (and your plumbing) can afford it, then make it and enjoy it.

If it's tallow+lard+GM with low super-fat and long cure time, then make that, and enjoy that.

If it's Zany's No-Slime Castile, then make that, and enjoy that.

BTW, toothpaste is a wash-off product, too - yet many of us experience vastly different results with different formulas.

Last edited:
Yes, soap is a wash-off product.

But if that were the end of the story, all of us could and and probably would keep using mass-produced, inexpensive, store-bought soap, which wouldn't cause us to suffer from itchy skin, dermatitis, FO-migraines, etc.

And if soap has no other effects except cleaning, we wouldn't experience the positive results from handcrafted soap, either. Mine include: no scent-induced migraines, no more peeling patches on my body, no more itchy dermatitis, and (my husband) greatly reduced eczema and psoriasis. My unscented lard-GM-colloidal oat soap is the only one I've ever - in my life - been able to use on my face without either breakouts or severe and instant skin peeling.

So to those who says "soap is just a wash-off product," my response yes, but it is still a balance - and that balance depends on a lot on the individual using the soap. Everyone has to find what works for them.

If 100% expensive vegan luxury butters and oils with a high SF works best for your skin, and you (and your plumbing) can afford it, then make it and enjoy it.

If it's tallow+lard+GM with low super-fat and long cure time, then make that, and enjoy that.

If it's Zany's No-Slime Castile, then make that, and enjoy that.

BTW, toothpaste is a wash-off product, too - yet many of us experience vastly different results with different formulas.
You are so very spot on with this. ♥️

Back