shea soap, would these work ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainframe

Reaction score
Ok I think I'm hooked :twisted: My first attempt batch is still curring good I hope :oops: So I want to keep things moving and go for a good shea butter soap. Open to any suggestions and pointers.

Here is ingredients I was playing atm what do you soapers think
Shea butter loves me soap

Oils
13.5oz - olive oil
8.5oz - shea butter
3.0oz - coconut oil
6.5oz - castor oil

Additives
1 1/2cp - butter milk powder
2oz apricot oil
1oz almond oil
Honey suckle FO (not sure how much)

4.5oz lye
12oz distilled water

Can't speak to the milk powder, but the recipe looks like it should probably work. Looks like about a 5% SF. I've used that high of a percentage of castor before without a problem but some say it can be sticky. If you were using the castor for the lather, you can also up the CO instead if you want.

Awesome and thanks for the reply. I only used 3oz of Coconut oil because I have no more atm. The milk powder is suppose to give it more lathering capabilities from what I heard. I was a little skeptical to use that much castor oil but hopefully it works out ok :) . I'm so new to this though, I have alot of trial and error ahead of me :twisted:

Looks like a good recipe. Only way to know is to try it out :wink: I use 18% castor in all of my batches and my soaps do not come out sticky, rock hard within 12 hours of pouring too.

zajanatural said:
Looks like a good recipe. Only way to know is to try it out :wink: I use 18% castor in all of my batches and my soaps do not come out sticky, rock hard within 12 hours of pouring too.

** but before you do run it through a soapcalc to make sure its SAFE!!

IanT said:
zajanatural said:

** but before you do run it through a soapcalc to make sure its SAFE!!

I don't think making a soap without running it through a calculator would be a smart thing to do :wink:

Back