Shea butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponomancer

Professional Geek
Reaction score
My mother has gotten enthusiastic about my soap making lately, and has badgered me into getting a pound of shea, but I honestly dont know what to do with it

I've experimented around and formulated two recipes of my own that I adore, and enjoy and dont really feel the need for any exotics in my soap or know that they'd improve it at all, and I'm at loathe to waste my ingredients and money on something that may actually turn out substandard

but, I do have some cocoa butter that I got for making bath truffles with and superfatting some of my luxury items, so I suppose I could try to do a bar that had a few 'nicer' oils in it just for her?

I had considered the idea of using them in a mostly solid oils formula to make whipped floating soap, but I dont have a good stand mixer to do that with

Any suggestions on what to do with it?

I like shea in regular soap at around 5 - 8%. I take that percentage out of my normal 60-ish lard amount. I notice a difference even at that low a percentage... the lather seems creamier/heavier, and my skin actually feels a little softer.

It's also really nice in lotions, whipped butters, lip balm, and bath truffles (cocoa butter makes me break out in bathwater, but shea behaves perfectly on my skin).

ETA: what feels softer is my hands... I really enjoy testing my soaps, so my hands get lathered up A LOT.

I was surprised that shea turned out to be my favorite "extra" to add to my soap. It's nicer than cocoa butter to me, and just 5% can really be a luxurious addition. For my skin at least.

Shea is one of my favorite butters. I have a skin balm that is primarily shea mixed with some Avocado, Rice Bran and several other oils, and I love it.
I just made bath truffles with Mango & Shea for my hard/medium butters. My skin is so silky smooth!
I melt a tiny bit into my hot oil treatment for my hair, and I use it straight with a couple of drops of Jasmine EO to help calm me and condition my skin before bed. Next I plan to make a whipped body butter.
I've used it a couple of times in soap as well, and I have really l liked my end results. Very creamy and lovely.
There's a lot you can do. You should most certainly give it a try for yourself. You'll probably find yourself really appreciating it.

Its good to know it does make a difference as a soap additive! Sometimes you just cant tell by the numbers alone what something might do.

I was considering a hand cream or balm as well, and I'll keep in mind all your suggestions, and of course share my results when I'm done :)

EG: I will, I've got a one pound loaf for it

Dixie: I haven't tried whipped butter, either personally or to make, that could be interesting, although I'd need to procure some containers too I think

Back