Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsy Bubbles

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy shea butter?

I am interested in whipped shea and read the post about "blocks or chunks of shea". I thought it was soft. Is it more in the form like a hard chunk of tallow? I have bought it before but maybe it already had something added to it.

Thanks
Sudsy Bubbles

I get mine at Columbus Foods, 25lbs for around $100 + shipping.

I don't know what tallow is like, but shea butter is solid, kinda like a crisco or lip balm. It's no where near as hard as cocoa butter.

I bought 10 pounds from them. I did the math with shipping. Assuming you buy 6 items (around a gallon size - best shipping value that way) The price of their shea is 25 cents an ounce.

I was sad that it was very grainy tho. I like whipping it without melting. I've been readin up on how to melt it and let it solidify for it won't be grainy for future use, but I'm not ready to attempt it yet, seems hard.

The shea butter needs to be tempered, or heated and held at that temp for a period of time to take away that 'gritty' feel after it hardens.

Try heating the shea butter to 175 degrees and hold that temp for at least 20 minutes. This allows the shea butter to melt completely and no crystals form and leave that gritty feel.

boopie said:
Try heating the shea butter to 175 degrees and hold that temp for at least 20 minutes. This allows the shea butter to melt completely and no crystals form and leave that gritty feel.
Works for me every time. For whipping, I chill my bowl (stainless steel), pour tempered shea in, whip for a few minutes, back in freezer for 2 or so minutes, whip and repeat until it is how you like it.

It will end up same firmness unless you add oil. :D

Digit

Back