Shea Butter ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvOurNewf

Reaction score
I have the 10# bag/box of shea butter from Columbus and every time I use it I make a mess. Also it's been open for about 2 months and I'm worrying about spoilage. Although I twist the bag as tight as I can to seal it I don't know if this is enough.

My question is;;;

can it be melted and transferred to an easier container without effecting the quality? If it's okay would you then store in the fridge?

shea packaging

What I did was get a snap lock container from wal-mart that would fit that size and just empty the entire contents into it. works great and my package has been open for about 3-4 months and no issues. Hasn't even thought of going rancid yet :D

If you're using your shea for soaping then melt away, any grains won't matter. In fact, I'm through with worrying about grainy butter and always use ButterEZ in any thing I add cocoa or shea to, except soap.

I saved a bunch of those 50# buckets that coconut oil comes in and bought Gamma Seal lids. I transfer all my butters, along with stearic acid, beeswax, candelilla wax, e wax, lye - basically anything that can be 'scooped'. Makes storing a breeze. Everything is kept clean and dry in an air/water tight resealable container.

I buy no-stir palm in the 50# cube, I tried transferring it to a bucket, but I lost too much, and it was a pain the arse. I found a plastic crate that holds the cube/box securely and had a lid made to fit. I pull the blue liner bag down over the sides of the plastic box, sorta like a trash can liner. It's not air tight, but it doesn't need to be.

I don't store anything in the fridge, except fragile oils. Those I don't use too often.

LuvOurNewf said:
Someday I'll get to the buying 50# container stage. :)

you could alway get smaller buckets in the painting section at Lowes. that way Deda's idea still works, but for your smaller amounts. :)

krissy said:
LuvOurNewf said:
Someday I'll get to the buying 50# container stage. :)

you could alway get smaller buckets in the painting section at Lowes. that way Deda's idea still works, but for your smaller amounts. :)

this is what i do for messy smaller quantities like a bag of shea butter or the babassu oil that i had to cut the top of the jug off and then haven't gotten around to using. get the matching lids, nice for stacking and keeping things neat.

I store all my oils in the fridge, except the 50lbs ones! I think melting it and repacking is a great idea. My oils last forever in the fridge. You can also just break it into chunks and put it into zip-loc freezer bags, two is good. My shea smells really strongly of fire char so the better sealed the less escapes into my fridge.

Deda said:
I'm through with worrying about grainy butter and always use ButterEZ in any thing I add cocoa or shea to, except soap.

Wow, that looks like a nice little treasure!! Thank you Deda :)

i have a few small containers of expensive oils in the fridge, but if i wanted to keep all mine refrigerated i'd have to have one gargantuan refrigerator and even then there wouldn't be any room for food :)

I am single and can't cook. I just got a new fridge which is bigger than my last one, I am in heaven! I have gallons of oil in there!

Lucky you to have all that shea. It's such a great butter. I have some and keep it in the refrigerator to extend its life some. I would melt it gently though.

Latest posts

Back