Shea Butter Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just tested a facial bar I made 10/15/2018 with 57% shea butter. I actually used it in the shower, since I do not use soap on my face, using a bath pouf and the lather was like using whipped cream. My gosh it was fantastic and does not need a bath pouf to lather up. Low on CO and PKO which I split, with 10% castor

I used shea butter in the shaving soap I made last night. Only about 5%, but it was the first time I've used it in something. The lather was thick and creamy, but I don't know if there was enough shea in there that I can attribute it to that. May need to make a small batch without it to see what the difference is.

I always enjoy when I try something and it works out well, though. Kudos on your successful test.

Thank you for your report, Carolyn. I was wondering if a such a high percentage of shea would create a drag or not. It doesn't sound like it did. What SF did you use? Did you still with your usual low SF of around 3% m? (I think that's what you often mention.)

I've made a 100% shea butter soap (to use up some old shea butter before it got too old) and used it for handwashing during the winter. I was happy with it - a modicum of lather....but enough to know you were using soap. No drag, not waxy, nice and hard, and definitely not drying. A pleasant bar really. My friend uses it on her face, but can't use any other type of cp on her face.

Latest posts

Back