Quantcast

Shea Butter Soap Question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Ginger

New Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello I am new to soap making. I am going to make this soap tonight:

2 cups glycerin soap base, melted in a double boiler
2 tbsp shea butter, melted separately
Several drops of your favorite essential oil (optional)


My question is, do I need unrefined shea butter, OR can I use shea butter lotion???


Thanks!
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
You can use refined shea or unrefined shea. Refined just means it has been through extra filtering.

If you use shea lotion there is no telling what is in it. Turn over the bottle & read the label. Chances are there is only 1-2% shea in it & it's full of who knows what else. Do you want all that other stuff in your soap? If so, go for it, but if the lotion is only a few% shea, once you blend it into your batch if soap you will only end up .00001% shea in your soap.
 

Ginger

New Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys! I will buy some off ebay I think, I found some for a decent price. Will 1 pound of it be enough for a lot of soaps? I'm mostly just looking for enough for about 20-25 candles.
 

leansoapqueen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
295
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago, IL
Good Ebay seller

PM me of you want to know a good shea seller on ebay- his stuff is amazing and all fairy traded, unrefined and so healing- he also sells a shea oil- might be easier than melting down the butter- not sure about the oil- never have used it. He's knowledgable! I would give you his name but not sure if I can????
Dannielle
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
1oz is 2 TBSP
1# is 32 TBSP

Yiour recipe above calls for 2 TBSP for a 1# batch of soap so if you follow that recipe , 1# of shea will make will make (8) 2# batch =16# of soap.

IMHO, 1 TBSP per 1# batch would be plenty.

I order my unrefined shea from Columbus Foods, it is $32-ish dollars for 10# & is food grade, that is just over $3.00 per pound. They also have refined organic for just a couple bucks more.
 

Lucy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Ginger said:
Thanks guys! I will buy some off ebay I think, I found some for a decent price. Will 1 pound of it be enough for a lot of soaps? I'm mostly just looking for enough for about 20-25 candles.
are you making candles or soap?
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Re: Good Ebay seller

leansoapqueen said:
PM me of you want to know a good shea seller on ebay- his stuff is amazing and all fairy traded, unrefined and so healing- he also sells a shea oil- might be easier than melting down the butter- not sure about the oil- never have used it. He's knowledgable! I would give you his name but not sure if I can????
Dannielle
Sure it is OK to post the source of your Shea Butter! We allow that kind of stuff here at SMF. I, like Tab, buy most of my Shea from Mike at CF. I have some unrefined Shea from a CO-Op at another forum a few months ago.

Paul....:)
 

Tabitha

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
7,135
Reaction score
142
Location
Texas
We love to see positive posts about supplier.
 

leansoapqueen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
295
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago, IL
Awesome...

His name is Rob- or goes by the Sheabutterman on Ebay...
His Ebay store is called Diabetics Best Friend by Tkon.. His prices are pretty good- product is well packed and fresh, scents are amazing, his black soap has cleared my acne with no oils and he's a nice guy- fast shipper, fast question response. I'm not advertising or anything but I have used alot of his stuff on myself and his unrefined is the best around in my opinion! Plus samples rock!
To find him just search TKON on Ebay- go to a listing and pull up his store.
 

soapbuddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
5,311
Reaction score
22
Location
Hot Desert of Cali
Re: Awesome...

leansoapqueen said:
His name is Rob- or goes by the Sheabutterman on Ebay...
His Ebay store is called Diabetics Best Friend by Tkon.. His prices are pretty good- product is well packed and fresh, scents are amazing, his black soap has cleared my acne with no oils and he's a nice guy- fast shipper, fast question response. I'm not advertising or anything but I have used alot of his stuff on myself and his unrefined is the best around in my opinion! Plus samples rock!
To find him just search TKON on Ebay- go to a listing and pull up his store.
Isn't he kind of expensive? 1 lb. for $12.99 plus $8.95 shipping?

Irena
 

leansoapqueen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
295
Reaction score
3
Location
Chicago, IL
Gone up a little...

His prices have gone up a little since the last time I used him but still very worth it- products are high quality. You can catch few day auctions too that are cheaper...
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
lean, sweetie, I can share with you many places to buy a pound of unrefined or refined shea much less than that. I know you are happy with him, and that is an important factor, but if you want to look at better pricing, just PM me.

Paul....:)
 
Top