Shea Butter Soap Odor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharvick

Reaction score
My soap has ended up with an odd odor. The only thing that I can think it would be is the shea butter. It has a very odd smell. Very strong nutty odor. Stronger than that of a strong olive oil. Is this normal? I have bought homemade shea butter soaps to test them and they smell wonderful.
Am I doing something wrong? My shea is fairly new from WSP.

WSP has some of the strongest smelling shea I've ever used. I only buy refined anymore, I just can't handle the weird scent.

I've never had it stick in soap before, did you use a lot? Any additives that could be causing the smell?

There is a good chance that the smell will fade as it cures.

I agree with Obsidian. WSP unrefined is pretty strong though I've never noticed it having a carry over smell after cure. I use it at 10% I don't use it any longer as I get mine from Soaper's Choice. I have purchased the unrefined from WSP for use in scrubs and balms. Only when it's on sale though.

I use Shea in all my soaps. I buy mine from Africa and from essential depot soil since it was buy one get one free.

I will buy new this week. Im currently at 10%. The additives I used were bamboo extract, vitamin e, bentonite, and activated charcoal.

It may be a combination of the shea and the other additives. May I ask why you are adding bamboo extract & vitamin E to your soap? I don't think much of anything will survive the lye monster and those are both kind of pricey items better for other products. Just curious,,..:)

My daughter breaks out very easily with soaps and using these two products helps to alleviate those breakouts especially with shaving.

Some of us have more sensitive noses than others do, so smelling the shea may just be part of that. I find some soaping oils linger for a very very long time, but others don't seem to notice them quite as much as my nose. So either I limit or avoid those oils or experiment with stronger fragrances to counter the scents. However, sometimes that doesn't even work to hide the lingering scent of certain oils.

Back