Shea Butter from Soaper's Choice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
I found a 10 pound tub of shea butter on soaperschoice.com for $4.41/pound (when I add in shipping) which is the cheapest I've found. I did read on a post from 2010 that their shea was really gritty, but I'm not sure if that would even really matter. I'm using it for cp soap and whipped sugar scrubs. Does anyone have any experience with shea from them? Has it improved since 2010? If it is still gritty, would it affect my products? I've been using BB's shea, and I know that they're expensive, but I've been buying from them since I read on a ton of forums that BB has the best. On that note, I do want to make the best product I can - but I know sometimes the oil or butter doesn't matter (EVOO vs pomace, or virgin coconut oil vs regular coconut oil). Would this be one of those times?
TIA!

Last edited:
I love their shea. I've not had a problem ever with graininess but I also use it in soap and whips. When I make the one lip balm with shea that I have, I add Butter EZ to the batch and have always done that, so I don't know if it gets grainy in lip balm -but I also add it 10% to my arnica stick and haven't had grains in that product either. I guess I just love it :)

Grainy? Not at all. I've been buying from them for over 3 years now and never had a batch come to me grainy. Overall id say I've likely bought over 600 lbs from them. Yes I go through it a lot and after testing others I like theirs the best and best pricing since ship is free and I buy 50 or so lbs at a time.
Soaperschoice is grainy!!

Any Shea will turn grainy though if it's not heated and cooled properly.

Jenneel - I'm sorry, but I'm confused! I can't find anything that says soaper's choice has free shipping, could you be thinking about crafter's choice?

I love their shea. I've not had a problem ever with graininess but I also use it in soap and whips. When I make the one lip balm with shea that I have, I add Butter EZ to the batch and have always done that, so I don't know if it gets grainy in lip balm -but I also add it 10% to my arnica stick and haven't had grains in that product either. I guess I just love it :)

Awesome! Thanks for your input, I think I'll go buy some shea!

haha! Woops!! Ok.. I thought originally you heard Crafters Choice was grainy. lol And I was saying no.. actually Soapers choice is grainy. But now I reread and see that's who you asked about.
So yes.. IMO their shea is crazy grainy.

I have tons here I'll never use if you want some on the cheap since you look to want to try it anyways. LMK I can send a picture.

Aha! That explains it :) I appreciate your offer, but I'm super low and need to get in an order for 10lbs or so super quick (like today!). I was looking at crafters choice but saw they were more expensive than soaper's choice. They're still cheaper than BB by almost $1/pound, so if CC's is good and creamy then I'm happy!!

Oh yeah.. I order tons! LOL
Here is a quick shot of my lovely shea from CC.. and then the grainy from SC. They are little pebbles. You can melt them doing really well and then cool real quick back but IMO it's too much work and not something i have time for.

shea.JPG

shea2.JPG

If you are using shea butter in body butter or lip balm, you are going to need to temper it to prevent your product from being grainy. For soapmaking, this is not needed.

If you want to temper it, just melt it and hold it at 170F-175F for 20 min. I temper the whole lb when I get it in, and then I don't have to worry about it again. But I only get in 1 lb.

Wow jenneel! I'm so glad I didn't get anything from SC! Even the color is wrong!
Thanks Susie, I haven't branched out to balms and things - but it's good to know!

Back