Shea Butter....can cause dry skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atihcnoc

Reaction score
Hi, it is possible that shea butter in CP soap, can make the skin feel very dry? For first time I make a soap that includes shea butter by 5%, I usually make the same recipe with a very good result without shea butter. But yesterday I try the soap from the recipe that includes shea butter and I feel my hands silky but soooo dry that I was wondering if something like this happens to somebody else.

I use shea butter for body cream and for me it is ok, little oily but ok, so it is not an allergic reaction to shea butter. What do you think this can be?

I appreciate your advice in this matter.

Thank you.

How old is the soap? If it’s not had a good cure it’s going to be more drying. What kind of SF are you using? Shea in raw form is different then shea in soap. Your skin may not like it in soap. Just like coconut is great in oil state but will strip your skin if too much is used in soap.

I. S.F. 5% and my lye is always 2:1 water:Lye.

The soap was CPOP and when I tested it was a week old. I was reading that most of the soap-makers use 10% of shea, and I just used 5% do you think that can be as well the cause?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back