Shea butter and what FO that can combat the smell?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly8991

Reaction score
I have 2 ladies that love shea butter bath melts. Lucky for me they don't mind the smell but it makes me gag :)
I tried using pear (puke), pineapple (started great but lost the smell) and coconut.
The coconut is still doing well after a few days but what else can mask the shea smell? I am using unrefined organic shea.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

I have 2 ladies that love shea butter bath melts. Lucky for me they don't mind the smell but it makes me gag :)
I tried using pear (puke), pineapple (started great but lost the smell) and coconut.
The coconut is still doing well after a few days but what else can mask the shea smell? I am using unrefined organic shea.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)
Are you sure that the shea butter is not rancid?

I would try something earthy or woodsy like patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, etc.. Can't guarantee those would cover that well but I think they would go better with shea than a sweet fruit.
I would switch to refined shea for products like this. I can't stand the smell of raw.

Thank you! I do have some earthy scents i will try, And I will change to refined after this massive amount of shea is gone :)

Thank you!

I would work with the smell instead of trying to fight it. Whenever someone comes in to the shop and wants to cover up dog smell I always suggest the Earthy scents. Sun-Warmed Sandalwood, Sultry Angel, Patchouli Dreams. Things like that. I have a feeling it would be the same way with Shea. As Obsidan said it is rather Earthy and go with that feel.

Latest posts

Back