Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mish

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to start off by saying that before coming to this forum I thought I knew more than I really did. I'm very thankful to have found this online community. I realize for those of you who have been soaping for a while and have been on here for many years, it must be annoying to always have to re-iterate yourselves time and time again seeing over ambitious new soapers trying to jump in the deep end without learning how to completely swim first. I appreciate and value all the of the information, suggestions and feed back I have received here at this forum.

Now for my question... :p

I've come up with a shaving soap recipe using the SoapCalc and I wanted to know what you all thought about it.

Olive pomace 45%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 20%
Palm 20%
Castor 15%

Superfat at 6%

Bentonite Clay 1/2 tablespoon per pound.

Ratio: 34:66 (within range)

Bar Quality: (within range)
Hardness: 33
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 64
Bubbly 27
Creamy 33
Iodine 63
INS 142

Acids:
Lauric - 10
Myristic - 4
Palmitic -17
Oleic - 41
Linoleic - 8
Linolenic - 1

Conditioning, fluffy creamy lather, decent hardness...?

Question: Which acids indicate if a bar will be "long lasting"

My partner has sensitive skin so I thought I should go with a conditioning recipe.

Any thoughts, feedback, suggestions would be much appreciated.

I forgot my main question - would this recipe make for a good shaving soap for someone with sensitive skin? ( silly me)

Palmitic and steric acids help with bar hardness. (Hardness In soap formulas refers to long lasting not hard as in bricks)

Forgot to add, there is a lot of information here you may want to read past posts you can pull up with the search function. If you haven't tried that yet.

Thnx... I'm still learning how to navigate around message forums... New to the whole online message board thing.. :oops:

Back