Shaving Soap with soy wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezza#Aus

Reaction score
I want to make a shaving soap bar recipe, with regarding the soy wax, there are so many different types I see.. I want to use the Golden Brands Golden Wax. I recently read to use GW 402 or GW 415. I find it hard to source in Australia. So what would I choose to compensate either of these numbers in the same brands please...I have not had anything to do with soy wax yet..

When I expresses an interest on SMF about using soy wax in soap, GW415 was recommended. It’s cosmetic grade & additive free. I purchased 5lbs & it’s nearly gone. I love it in soap!
yes exactly, but do you know the difference between GW415 and GW416. I just did research and found that the melting and pouring points are different. Therefore GW415 would be much better for a cold process...Does this make sense? May I ask what % do you use in soap, and does this make it a harder soap please and thank you

Last edited:
I use soy wax 415 for my cold processed shave soap @45%. I have used other soy waxes as well when 415 was out of stock, but I prefer it to the others. ETA - I have tried All Seasons S100 soy wax.

I once used up 5kg of GW464 and didn't even realise they had sent me the wrong one until I was pouring the last of it out of the bag! SO I know you can use that as an alternative. I think 416 might be ok too (maybe a bot softer?), but just check whatever you get doesn't have anything other than soy listed in the ingredients.

@KiwiMoose has more experienced with GW415 than I do! However, to answer your questions… I use GW415 from 20%-30% in my CP soap. I thought it would make soap harder & I suppose it does make a soap harder than when using a 💯 soft oil but it did not make my soap as hard as I thought it would. I noticed a real difference when I tried to sub soy wax for beeswax. No comparison there! I do love it in soap. Not so much a lotion bar.

I use soy wax 415 for my cold processed shave soap @45%. I have used other soy waxes as well when 415 was out of stock, but I prefer it to the others. ETA - I have tried All Seasons S100 soy wax.

I once used up 5kg of GW464 and didn't even realise they had sent me the wrong one until I was pouring the last of it out of the bag! SO I know you can use that as an alternative. I think 416 might be ok too (maybe a bot softer?), but just check whatever you get doesn't have anything other than soy listed in the ingredients.
Thanks very much...I am going to order 415 now...

@KiwiMoose has more experienced with GW415 than I do! However, to answer your questions… I use GW415 from 20%-30% in my CP soap. I thought it would make soap harder & I suppose it does make a soap harder than when using a 💯 soft oil but it did not make my soap as hard as I thought it would. I noticed a real difference when I tried to sub soy wax for beeswax. No comparison there! I do love it in soap. Not so much a lotion bar.
Thanks I will try in soap when it arrives..

Back