Shaving soap Saturday

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1ble

Reaction score
The reason I started making soap was because of my desire to make a great shaving soap at a considerably smaller cost than some of the commercially available ones. After researching a bit, I took the advice and learned about soap making in general and made a few CP batches. I found the relatively lengthy post started by Songwind and decided to try the recipe. My first HP and definitely not my last. Here is the finished product...
h6juFOT.jpg

I tried it the Saturday evening and it lathered great and shaved well. I'm not sure what the "white" spots are in my soap, perhaps glycerin? Maybe someone can fill me in on that, but they do seem to be shrinking as it is drying. The lather is as I expected...
3A1lKgB.jpg

Thanks for the great recipe Songwind, and as many others, I too will try some other variations of this recipe.

Do you have the HP shave soap bug now? Next you'll get into your own additives (may I recommend a bit of lanolin and yogurt (fresh or powdered).

The white spots are probably steric, nothing to be concerned about. Mine did the same thing, and the soap works brilliantly regardless.

Nice! It looks like you had an easier time of it on your first go-round than I did so well done! I have those white spots too which I'm sure are stearic spots. But your lather looks great and if you got a good shave out of it ~ success! :thumbup:

Do you have the HP shave soap bug now? Next you'll get into your own additives (may I recommend a bit of lanolin and yogurt (fresh or powdered).

The white spots are probably steric, nothing to be concerned about. Mine did the same thing, and the soap works brilliantly regardless.

I definitely have the bug and additives are on my ind, not because it seems to need it, but just because I can haha.

Nice! It looks like you had an easier time of it on your first go-round than I did so well done! I have those white spots too which I'm sure are stearic spots. But your lather looks great and if you got a good shave out of it ~ success! :thumbup:

I was lucky and it did go well. Thank you.

Mine also looks the same way. I made Songwind's starter recipe and also (I think the OP was...) Skatergirl's recipe - which I really enjoyed, it didn't feel as stripping for shaving my legs. I haven't found any faces to test it on yet, the bf is fully bearded and is going to stay that way (but I'm working on the man bun...). I'm a shave soap convert!

I love a little shea and always add glycerine. I have many devoted customers to my shave soap. My husband though is my biggest fan. I love it for shaving my legs too.

I did add 15% glycerin to my recipe. Next up may be something in the shea butter or lanolin realm. Also wanna try benonite powder just to see the difference even though there is already plenty of slip.

Was the recipe you used the one at the very beginning of Songwind's thread?
I didn't feel like reading all 89 pages to see if there are modifications to it later on.

Was the recipe you used the one at the very beginning of Songwind's thread?
I didn't feel like reading all 89 pages to see if there are modifications to it later on.

LOL, It took me days to read through the whole thing, but it was worth it. Yes I used the original recipe. I did add 15% glycerin which I can't remember if he did at the beginning or not. Many different changes were made throughout the thread, and I believe most were as good or maybe a bit better than the original.

FWIW I just finished shaving again with this soap and it is by far my favorite. I've not tried a lot of whats available, but at least a dozen or so. Good luck if your going to make some, I think it will be addictive.

I will give it a try at some point. I will need to order some supplies. I don't have KOH, stearic acid, or glycerin.

Latest posts

Back