Shaving Soap Recipe Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabutne

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been working on shaving soap for some time and have reviewed all the information I could find here and on other shaving specific forums. My question is if your stearic acid is high (58 on soap calc using a combo of stearic acid and butters high in stearic acid) and you are doing a combo of NaOH and KOH can you actually CP the soap successfully? I know I can HP it but it does not give a good texture to the finished product. It comes out really light and airy and I pour into a 3" circular mold that always leaves me with air pockets in the soap when I HP.

I CP'd last night but ended up with oil separation.

Also, since I realize I am sort of making a cream soap without supercreaming the recipe I superfat at 5%. But, if my recipe uses 65% KOH then do I have to just make a cream soap?

Using KOH you are not going to get a bar soap, period. If you want the bar soap that will withstand being molded, hardening to cut and will harden mroe to be used, you need to use NaOH and leave the KOH for cream or liquid soaps.

Back