Shaving soap mold question

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Buckscent, Sep 1, 2016.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1

Buckscent

Buckscent

Buckscent

You shaving soapers, i am looking at making a couple rounds that will fit in the shaving soap bowl. What to use for a mold? I thought about a Pringles can?

2. Sep 1, 2016 #2

doriettefarm

doriettefarm

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter

For DIY options, the Pringles can or PVC pipe would work for a CP shave bar. But if you're making a shave soap with mostly KOH instead of NaOH, you really don't need a mold at all. This is the type I make in a crockpot so it's more hot process style. After you cook it and cool enough to handle, just dump it on a sheet of parchment or wax paper, roll into a log (like cookie dough) and slice into pucks.

3. Sep 1, 2016 #3

Buckscent

Buckscent

Buckscent

Yes it's CP and NaOH

4. Sep 1, 2016 #4

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

I would strongly recommend making the smallest batch possible and just use a plastic Tupperware pot for now - if you make even a 500g batch and then want to make changes you have a huge amount of soap left.

My 0.x gram scale allows me to make 50g batches but I feel more comfortable with 100g for the margins of error

I melt the ingredients in the pot in the microwave and then add the KOH and cook it in the microwave in bursts until it saponifies

5. Sep 1, 2016 #5

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I started with pringles cans lined with freezer paper. However, I don't use NAOH in my shave soap. I HP with KOH. I too recommend making smaller batchs. I started making 1 lb batches when I started testing them.

6. Sep 1, 2016 #6

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I use 80% KOH and 20% NaOH in mine, and HP it in my oven. The resulting croap/soap is quite malleable, like softened clay, but is actually able to hold it's own shape in spite of its softness, and takes well to being molded in a cylinder-type mold and then sliced. I can't tell you how much I love the consistency of it- it's wonderfully versatile.

Anyway, you can just pour your shave soap batter right into your shaving bowl/mug if you desire, or a Tupperware container as the good Gent suggested. Or you can mold it in a cylinder-type mold such as PVC or a Pringles can, but make sure to line the mold so that your soap comes out easily. Or you can do as Dorie recommended and dump it out on wax paper and hand-shape it into a log to slice. I myself use Brambleberry's 2-piece silicone cylinder mold, which I love for it's ease of unmolding. Like I said- it's very versatile.- all of the above will work wonderfully.

If you are making batches less than 1 lb, I wouldn't attempt to do so without a good scale that can weigh accurately down to .01 grams.

IrishLass :)

7. Sep 2, 2016 #7

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

Silicone muffin pans work well for a rounded soap. The bottom will be smaller than the top, though.