Shaving soap in Aluminium tin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
Hello, questions about tins. I know aluminium reacts badly with lye or unsaponified soap.

I have seen a lot of shaving soap sold in little alu tins. I was going to try making soap and then curing it before putting it in the tin to see what happens. The disadvantage of this method is finding the exact size and shape mould needed so as to be the right size once cured for the tins.

What difference would HP make to this process? Could HP go in the tin straight away?
Is there a way that I could pour the soap directly into the tins by lining it say with beeswax?

Thank you

It wouldn't make a difference HP or CP if cured. You could poor into the tin but it will be difficult to remove from the tin. Also have to be concerned with rusting depending on what the tin is made of. Also have to consider cost.

I think there is something to avoiding aluminum wherever possible. I have a WWII vintage aluminum container that I put (well cured) soap in for travel. The container is still quite functional, but over the years, the soap has etched the inside surface of the container. Whether that's due to the high pH, dampness, or some other factor, I can't say.

Aluminum is the least likely metal to trigger DOS (rancidity), but there's still a slightly increased potential for that too.

Another thing is I'd not assume the "tins" you' are seeing are made of aluminum, especially if they have a threaded screw-top lid. Many containers like this are actually steel for durability. Some are bare metal and some are plated, painted, or otherwise coated with a surface finish to improve the looks and minimize the chance of rust.

Did you ever find a solution for your shaving soap @Louise Taylor?

I made some hot process shave soap and poured into a pringles can. Then I cut it and squished the rounds into the aluminium tins. This seems to have worked although it is not the prettiest. When I have more time I am going to just try pouring the hot soap into the tin. I think once it is cooked and so saponification has happened it should be ok.

I made some hot process shave soap and poured into a pringles can. Then I cut it and squished the rounds into the aluminium tins. This seems to have worked although it is not the prettiest. When I have more time I am going to just try pouring the hot soap into the tin. I think once it is cooked and so saponification has happened it should be ok.
Did you end up trying this? I'm going through a similar debate, and wondering how it worked for you.

What I use is, a PVC pipe and get a cap of it. I spray inside of it release spray and when done, I remove the cap and push it out. I cut it in slices and use shrink wrap. That way the person receiving it can put it in a coffee mug or a soufflé bowl, it's just the right size.

I made some recently then went on the hunt for tins... I think I finally got mine on Amazaon. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

• Shave Soap.jpg
    Shave Soap.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 45
Back