Shaving soap in Aluminium tin

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
Hello, questions about tins. I know aluminium reacts badly with lye or unsaponified soap.

I have seen a lot of shaving soap sold in little alu tins. I was going to try making soap and then curing it before putting it in the tin to see what happens. The disadvantage of this method is finding the exact size and shape mould needed so as to be the right size once cured for the tins.

What difference would HP make to this process? Could HP go in the tin straight away?
Is there a way that I could pour the soap directly into the tins by lining it say with beeswax?

Thank you

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It wouldn't make a difference HP or CP if cured. You could poor into the tin but it will be difficult to remove from the tin. Also have to be concerned with rusting depending on what the tin is made of. Also have to consider cost.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's a thread where they talk about containers for shave soap and includes a link to a related thread:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@Louise Taylor I suppose it could. I've not done it so can't speak to it. I would still have some concern with the high PH and reaction to aluminium when pouring hot soap into it.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I think there is something to avoiding aluminum wherever possible. I have a WWII vintage aluminum container that I put (well cured) soap in for travel. The container is still quite functional, but over the years, the soap has etched the inside surface of the container. Whether that's due to the high pH, dampness, or some other factor, I can't say.

Aluminum is the least likely metal to trigger DOS (rancidity), but there's still a slightly increased potential for that too.

Another thing is I'd not assume the "tins" you' are seeing are made of aluminum, especially if they have a threaded screw-top lid. Many containers like this are actually steel for durability. Some are bare metal and some are plated, painted, or otherwise coated with a surface finish to improve the looks and minimize the chance of rust.

Latest posts