Shaving Soap, help please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A simple 50% steric acid, 50% co with just KOH will work. You could use 25% tallow and reduce the co by that amount. Plain water is also fine. Add glycerin in 15% of the oil weight, either before or after the cook.

Those two options would give you a better shaving soap than anything commercially available and he will be very pleased.

If you want to give him a smaller amount, I make small bathes in Tupperware in the microwave. Have to warm it slowly and/or watch it carefully, but it works well for making 100gram batches, as long as your scale is accurate enough.

As for the tone, stressful posting happens to pretty much everyone! It takes more to say sorry and own the mistake

I understand you were tired. Don`t worry, I don`t carry a grudge because you ignored my efforts to try and help you out until others with experience could chime in. Grudges are way to heavy to be carried around, and I am the only one feeling the weight of it, if I do it.

Hope you get some rest and good nights sleep so you feel better : )

OH goodness guys! Now you are making me want to tear up! I am going to try to find some glycerin, and yes of course I will use the stearic acid, it will be here tomorrow so if I can find the glycerin I will try to get it made this weekend. I know he is going to LOVE it!!

Thanks again!

Some other places to find vegetable glycerin: your local health-food store (mine sells it in 8oz and 1 lb. bottles, and they stock it over by the essential oils). If you have a Sprouts or Wholefoods, I've found it there as well. Also- I was at HobbyLobby today buying a couple of cake pans and happened to have seen several small bottles of glycerin near the fondant and cake flavorings (I think they were in 2oz bottles).

In regards to using dual lye, I found this short and sweet 1-page thread where DeeAnna explains how to calculate for it: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53683&highlight=NaOH

And don't worry - we all have our cranky days. :)

IrishLass :)

If you're looking for a good mold... get a pringles can and line with freezer paper (shiny side facing the soap). I like to cut the bottom off where the metal is and just heavily line it too. I put a 1lb batch in that which gives some headroom. Super easy unmolding and it works better than the dern silicone mold I wasted money on. <still bitter>

Back