Shaving soap for a straight razor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Efficacious Gentleman,
Thanks for the great advice.
What I am giving my son, I left as is. I rebatched the rest. My husband loves how it performs, but it was crumbling and that was a problem. The rebatched product is smooth and lovely. I saved the scrapings for myself. I have read of the dulling effects of clay and decided to forego it.
I am pleased with the soap overall. I will try the suggestions by Irish Lass with hopes of avoiding separation in the future.

2020-07-18.png2020-07-18 (1).png2020-07-18 (2).png
What do you prefer in your shaving soap?

I put in extra glycerine - one issue is that I use steric acid and that is not a triglyceride like a "normal" oil is, so the soap is missing some glycerine in general. Putting that back in really helps. I can't remember if I use more than that, though. But I also use goats milk as part of the liquid. I don't use milks in soaps often, but always in my shaving soaps.

I need to dust off the recipe and make some again, as I am using bought shaving soap (oh, the indignity of it!)

After testing this for myself, and after the reactions of both my husband and my son -- I know I will never go back. (Or I do not intend to go back.) Now to convince the other two sons to shave on occasion so they can enjoy it as well. One has a full beard and he does enjoy the beard oil I make for him. He likes peppermint though, and it is terrible on the skin. I have to work to balance it out so he gets the mint and the benefits.
He has such a thick, curly, wiry beard.
I had every intention of replacing some of my water with glycerine like I do some of my regular soaps. I simply forgot when it came right down to it. My glycerine is in a larger container and is stored away from the rest of my supplies. I need to remedy that.
What percentage do you use, Efficacious Gentleman?

Congrats on the shaving soap. The lather looks great. I made my first shaving soap about a month ago.

Happy shaves!

Latest posts

Back