Shaving Soap CPHP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

I give that short answer because there are so many shaving soap threads that pop up that I actually find it strange that you have never seen them and the advice given - because the better ways to make it require a fatty acid, anything other than hot process just doesn't work. As for it being a bar rather than a putty-like substance, the mix of alkali will dictate that

Yes.

I give that short answer because there are so many shaving soap threads that pop up that I actually find it strange that you have never seen them and the advice given - because the better ways to make it require a fatty acid, anything other than hot process just doesn't work. As for it being a bar rather than a putty-like substance, the mix of alkali will dictate that

Thank you for your quick response. I have just read about 55 of the 99 threads on shaving soap.
Pretty much more confused now than before. Except for the part where I definitely want to use the CPHP.
I just want to make a nice shaving soap puck. Does anyone have a nice recipe they could share? Thank you.

Shaving Soap

I have read thru the threads here about shaving soap. A few seasoned soapers have substituted stearic acid for butters that would equal 20. I have come up with a recipe that the stearic is at 21 (according to the soapcalc). Does this look like it would do for a shaving soap??
CCO 18%
Tallow 35%
Castor Oil 10%
Shea Butter 15%
Mango Butter 15%
OO Oil 5%
Sunflower Oil 2%

CP and NaOH

Thank you for any suggestion.

I meant that in ernst- for me, a shaving soap with no koh does not exist, simple as that. Plus the fairly low coconut and fairly high butters.........

Don't forget, a shaving soap is not a normal soap and can't be formulated as such. Looking at your recipe I do not see a shaving soap at all. But maybe it will work. My interest is in your reasoning- how did you get to those numbers? That would be good to know.

That is what i read in a couple of places that you have to use KOH to make a good shaving soap.

Shaving Soap Recipe?

I was wondering if this would pass as a basic shaving soap recipe ?
I would ask for thoughtful, advice or recommendations. All other negative responses are not welcome or helpful. Thank you in advance.

HP....KoAH
SF 5%
45% lard
35% stearic acid
10% castor oil
5% coconut oil
5% shea butter

Again, I always want to know your reasoning on these things.

For me, I know that you sell soaps and will want to at some point sell this soap, which makes me not want to actually spoon feed you. But I really fail to see how you got to this recipe and would really love to know. As other people also read these threads, I of course can't just let this sit as a possible viable shaving soap recipe, especially without some kind of context about the back ground of it

Edit - I don't know if you consider my response "welcome" and I don't mind either way. It is helpful, whether or not you think it so.

If you want to sell soaps, you should be formulating good recipes. If you formulate a recipe, you should be able to explain why you arrived at a particular mix of oils

Last edited:
I've been exclusively shaving soap soaping for a little over a year with about 15 batches so far, all hot processed. I started out with traditional tallow recipes, left the reservation a few times on crazy recipes (wasting ingredients), but have come back to where I started. My thoughts are:

100% KOH is the way to go
Lard is nasty stuff, stay with tallow
Don't get sucked into the fragrance oil rabbit hole until you find your best recipe
Castor oil makes a positive difference
At least 10% glycerin at the end is good (I'll use even more next batch)

My best batch was where I was trying to use up all the partial bottles of ingredients. This is why the percentages are so weird and not rounded. Added 10% Glycerin at the end. The Almond oil addition is weird, but I had it on hand so I used it, so little it probably didn't make a difference?

Stearic Acid 45.73%
Tallow Beef 19.48%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 14.91%
Castor Oil 4.97%
Shea Butter 4.97%
Cocoa Butter 4.97%
Lanolin liquid Wax 3.58%
Almond Oil, sweet 1.39%

Again, I always want to know your reasoning on these things.

For me, I know that you sell soaps and will want to at some point sell this soap, which makes me not want to actually spoon feed you. But I really fail to see how you got to this recipe and would really love to know. As other people also read these threads, I of course can't just let this sit as a possible viable shaving soap recipe, especially without some kind of context about the back ground of it

Edit - I don't know if you consider my response "welcome" and I don't mind either way. It is helpful, whether or not you think it so.

If you want to sell soaps, you should be formulating good recipes. If you formulate a recipe, you should be able to explain why you arrived at a particular mix of oils

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/441908-First-time-soapmaking-
hot-process-shave-soap/page6?highlight=shaving+soap+recipe

Having read that, why did you start off with a 100% NaOH recipe? They quickly move on to at least a mix of more KOH than NaOH.

They also start of from a bad recipe and improve it - the big thread that you have been given links for starts off at a great recipe and goes from there. I don't quite understand why this is your main source? Badger and Blade also has the original work by some of the best shaving soap makers and more recent posts like the silver fox walk through which would be much better starting points.

Having read that, why did you start off with a 100% NaOH recipe? They quickly move on to at least a mix of more KOH than NaOH.

They also start of from a bad recipe and improve it - the big thread that you have been given links for starts off at a great recipe and goes from there. I don't quite understand why this is your main source? Badger and Blade also has the original work by some of the best shaving soap makers and more recent posts like the silver fox walk through which would be much better starting points.

Testing Testing Testing. :) Who said this was my main source?? So, what would your recommendation be for a basic shaving soap, my dear? :)

I've been exclusively shaving soap soaping for a little over a year with about 15 batches so far, all hot processed. I started out with traditional tallow recipes, left the reservation a few times on crazy recipes (wasting ingredients), but have come back to where I started. My thoughts are:

100% KOH is the way to go
Lard is nasty stuff, stay with tallow
Don't get sucked into the fragrance oil rabbit hole until you find your best recipe
Castor oil makes a positive difference
At least 10% glycerin at the end is good (I'll use even more next batch)

My best batch was where I was trying to use up all the partial bottles of ingredients. This is why the percentages are so weird and not rounded. Added 10% Glycerin at the end. The Almond oil addition is weird, but I had it on hand so I used it, so little it probably didn't make a difference?

Stearic Acid 45.73%
Tallow Beef 19.48%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 14.91%
Castor Oil 4.97%
Shea Butter 4.97%
Cocoa Butter 4.97%
Lanolin liquid Wax 3.58%
Almond Oil, sweet 1.39%

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. :)

You are going to sell this, so I won't even mention a recipe. I have mentioned the dapper dragon thread and the silver fox thread. Those two are all that you need to put together some test batches to see how they perform, especially as you are experienced enough to sell

You are going to sell this, so I won't even mention a recipe. I have mentioned the dapper dragon thread and the silver fox thread. Those two are all that you need to put together some test batches to see how they perform, especially as you are experienced enough to sell

I have been to the Silver Fox thread many times. Very nice webpage. Thank you for directing me to the Dapper Dragon. Will definitely go there.
As for selling, I never mentioned anything about selling this soap. Actually it is for family and friends.

I have been to the Silver Fox thread many times. Very nice webpage. Thank you for directing me to the Dapper Dragon. Will definitely go there.
As for selling, I never mentioned anything about selling this soap. Actually it is for family and friends.

Thank you everyone for the opinions on the shaving soap. I did find a recipe that I like and lathers nicely.

Very good.

I noticed in the B&B thread that you linked, they were talking about not adding in extra glycerine. If you are using some steric acid, it doesn't result in soap+glycerine like usually, as it has already been split from the glycerine. People generally add in clay or glycerine to give better slickness. If your current recipe doesn't have that, do consider making a test batch to compare. It's not about lather, it's about how it is to actually shave with the soap.

Back