Shaving Soap Burns Face

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikon

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone had an experience with a soap causing a mild burning/tingling? I am moving on from making soap with grocery store oils, and I decided I would like to try a shaving soap. I purchased several samples online to get a good feel for what a popular shaving soap feels like. The last one I got was from a local vendor. I have purchased many soaps from this local artisan and they have all been wonderful...except the shaving soap. This soap is CPHP made with typical shaving soap oils (tallow, stearic acid, castor,cocoa, etc.) It is one of the best shaving soaps I used as far as the actual shave goes. When I put it on my face, I can feel a little burning/tingling. Its mild but noticeable and makes the soap unusable. Now, when I say burning, I dont mean like a chemical burn or fire that is unbearable. It is a weird feeling I cannot fully describe except for mild burning/tingling. This is without any actual shaving going on, just the lather on my face. It only happens on my face, not on my arm, hands, stomach, etc. It is only a problem on my face. It is unscented so its not a fragrance thing, and the only "new" oil for my skin is cocoa butter. I am familiar with CPHP, CP, etc., and I have made many batches of regular soap, so I understand a lot about it, but I cannot figure out why it is burning a little. Before I place an online order for oils, butters, etc., I would see if you guys had any clue as to what is causing the tingling? Is it the cocoa butter? I know there is less than 10% coconut in there because I asked about how much coconut( high coconut oils seem to dry me out too much.) I got no zap from it, the phenolph. color looks the same as all other soaps so I dont think it has active Lye in it. I had planned to use cocoa butter in my recipe, but I could certainly make one without it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sounds like you figured it out . You can be sensitive to cocoa butter if not totally allergic to it. Start at the basics and you will find out what it is causing your burning. I agree with above.

Something else to consider is the fragrance oil. On occasion I will have someone react like that to my shaving soap and I will send them an unscented version and there is no burn. The biggest culprit has been Green Irish Tweed from NG.

Update: It isnt cocoa butter that is causing the burning. I got hold of a handmade soap with cocoa butter and no problems. I got hold of some unrefined cocoa butter, melted it and put some on my face, hands, arms and no burning. Do not know what the problem with the shave soap was, but I highly doubt it was cocoa butter

Nikon said:
Update: It isnt cocoa butter that is causing the burning. I got hold of a handmade soap with cocoa butter and no problems. I got hold of some unrefined cocoa butter, melted it and put some on my face, hands, arms and no burning. Do not know what the problem with the shave soap was, but I highly doubt it was cocoa butter

Very odd! I hope you're able to figure it out-a shame you can't use that soap :(

I'm gonna to throw out a guess: facial skin tends to be more sensitive than other skin on your body, and the higher alkalinity of handmade soap may just be a bit too much for your face. It may not be an allergy to any ingredient, just a sensitivity to a higher pH.

Alchemy&Ashes said:
I'm gonna to throw out a guess: facial skin tends to be more sensitive than other skin on your body, and the higher alkalinity of handmade soap may just be a bit too much for your face. It may not be an allergy to any ingredient, just a sensitivity to a higher pH.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've found that I can use just about any soap on the rest of my body, but my face is much more selective/persnikety. As a matter of fact, I stopped using any kind of soap on my face altogether about 10 years ago because of the problems I was having, and I started using just warm water and a facial cloth instead. My facial skin has been happy ever since.

IrishLass :)

Back