Shave soap recipe drying my skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gootinberg

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been experimenting with shaving soaps. My original challenge was getting a stable, creamy lather. Thanks to people in this forum, I am well on track to getting this. However, I am having a new issue. After shaving with the soap, my skin is left extremely dry. I have read that adding vegetable glycerin after the cook (hot process) can be helpful. If that is true, how much should I add? Are there any other tweaks I can make? My latest recipe is summarized below:

Steric Acid - 20%
Palm Oil - 30%
Coconut Oil - 20%
Castor Oil - 10%
Olive Oil - 10%
Sunflower Oil - 10%
Lye - 5% discount

The recipe that has been floating around here on the forum lately by Songwind had about 3 tablespoons per pound of oils. I think I recall that you may be able to use more, but I'm not sure where I saw that at so I wouldn't take that as 100% accurate. I've made the previous recipe with 3 tablespoons, but I've not yet shaved with it. It's still curing a bit.

InNae

I also think that more Steric is used - about 40%. But that is in the Songwind one. That thread is really a trove of tips and tricks and theory on shaving soaps. When I come to make one, I'll be going back through it with a fine-toothed comb.

That recipe actually has 52% of Stearic Acid and 48% Coconut. I have taken that recipe and tweaked it and it actually makes a fantastic shaving soap. It's also done HP due to the stearic acid and uses Potassium Hydroxide. I also add exta glycerin, shea and castor to the recipe.

Latest posts

Back