Shave Soap in a Cup?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I was thinking about making shaving soap in enamel cups/mugs - now I’m not sure it’s a good idea.
At first I though I’d first ask if it’s ok to pour the batter directly into enamel or if it somehow influences the quality of the soap?
But now I’m not sure if it’s a good idea because of the depth? Attached are two pics of the mug I would intend on using... thwy dont seem all too tall or wide 🤷‍♀️
Any tips for me?

Attachments

• 0B9B2D9F-C702-453B-BD87-1D1130568D88.jpeg
    0B9B2D9F-C702-453B-BD87-1D1130568D88.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 02303B1C-7F8B-4452-9907-89664E446B00.jpeg
    02303B1C-7F8B-4452-9907-89664E446B00.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 15
I though I’d first ask if it’s ok to pour the batter directly into enamel or if it somehow influences the quality of the soap? But now I’m not sure if it’s a good idea because of the depth?
First of all, I really like those mugs! As far as depth is concerned, you need that head space to create and hold copious lather. If you pour the batter into the mug to cure, you have a problem curing because air cannot get to the whole thing. Why not do what I do? I make a 2.5" (6 cm) diameter puck (4 oz) that easily drops into any size mug, cup, or shaving bowl. That way the soap can cure properly before using. Once it's in the mug, it's easy to lather up with a brush. I would not use the lid as the soap needs to dry out between shaves. ;)

@Mellicious - those are really cute mugs. I don't pour my shaving soap into mugs but into plastic jars. I've never had a problem with them curing. I just pour them and leave them uncovered for about 4 weeks. I've been making shaving soap for years that way. I also make pucks for replacements. I make my shave soap HP as it has too much stearic in it to CP it.

First of all, I really like those mugs! As far as depth is concerned, you need that head space to create and hold copious lather. If you pour the batter into the mug to cure, you have a problem curing because air cannot get to the whole thing. Why not do what I do? I make a 2.5" (6 cm) diameter puck (4 oz) that easily drops into any size mug, cup, or shaving bowl. That way the soap can cure properly before using. Once it's in the mug, it's easy to lather up with a brush. I would not use the lid as the soap needs to dry out between shaves. ;)
That’s a great idea, thank you. The lids are just pretty as the original packaging. The ones without lids are cheaper, so that’s another plus point.

May I ask what price you are selling yours for? The mugs are pretty expensive. I’m paying just over 3 bucks each for them (shipping included). Would you just add the cost of the soap to that?

May I ask what price you are selling yours for? The mugs are pretty expensive. I’m paying just over 3 bucks each for them (shipping included). Would you just add the cost of the soap to that?
I'm no longer selling. Retired in July of 2018. But you could easily add a brush to the mug & soap and sell it as a set for whatever the market will bear in your area. It's been a while ago, but I picked up some very nice boar's hair brushes from WSP on sale.

I CP my shaving soap (soy wax) and pour it straight into small ceramic bowls, it cures just fine. I do love your mugs though!

I made a HP shave soap and put directly in little ceramic teacups that I found at Hobby Lobby on clearance. They are a good size and my hubby seems to like. He doesn't have a proper shave brush at the moment so he is lathering with a facial brush from Dollar Tree. So far he hasn't had any issues with softness. He typically rinses the top off and drains out any water when he is done.
20200903_123552.jpg20200903_123642.jpg20200903_123528.jpg

I CP my shaving soap (soy wax) and pour it straight into small ceramic bowls, it cures just fine. I do love your mugs though!

I have my soy wax shaving soap drying right now. I actually started off hot process but my crock-pot died on me 🤦‍♀️ So it’s kinda half and half... got up to apple sauce stage. I hope it turned out ok. It seems to be making a great lather so far. 🤷‍♀️

I made a HP shave soap and put directly in little ceramic teacups that I found at Hobby Lobby on clearance. They are a good size and my hubby seems to like. He doesn't have a proper shave brush at the moment so he is lathering with a facial brush from Dollar Tree. So far he hasn't had any issues with softness. He typically rinses the top off and drains out any water when he is done.
View attachment 49341View attachment 49342View attachment 49343

I think I’m gonna Test one directly into the jar and see how it goes

@Mellicious - I CP my shave soap (also with soy wax). I haven't made a second batch yet, but the first lot all went out to testers with a verdict varying from 'fabulous' to 'too thin'. I am yet to make my second trail version with a few tweaks. All the testers used and approved of the mugs. There are two sizes of the mugs available here - mine are about 8cm x 8cm (the smaller ones). I just bought a couple of boxes that were on sale (6 per box) for $NZ8 (4.53 euros) each. Very happy with that - just over a dollar each!

@Mellicious - I CP my shave soap (also with soy wax). I haven't made a second batch yet, but the first lot all went out to testers with a verdict varying from 'fabulous' to 'too thin'. I am yet to make my second trail version with a few tweaks. All the testers used and approved of the mugs. There are two sizes of the mugs available here - mine are about 8cm x 8cm (the smaller ones). I just bought a couple of boxes that were on sale (6 per box) for $NZ8 (4.53 euros) each. Very happy with that - just over a dollar each!
Great! Mine should be the same size. I only have two gents that shave wet and will be testing before I make more. I‘d love to see all the pics.

Are they enamel..Thats great Ive been looking for some enamel mugs for a while. Were did you buy them?

I make my dish soap bar and did a shave bar both poured and cured in 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars. I get a good swirl and foaming from both soaps! When I make more of either I just line extra jars or I use a Pringle can for a mold and just drop the cut bars in. I stopped using the mason jar for the shave soap because I worried about it being dropped in the shower! So the cup you have would be a great idea! Wish I’d thought about it.

@sirtim100 I would love to know who the Australian maker is, I am an Aussie, very new to soap making. Lots of good ideas, I especially like the idea of using melt and pour in the bottom to secure, using a piece of plumbers pipe to get the size. I was wondering if you used ocean water in the process would that help to harden the bars also? I look forward to seeing and hearing about your results.

Latest posts

Back