Sharing some photography tips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven

Reaction score
I like instant things and couldn't be bothered taking out my slr and the tripod and so on... I also play a lot on instagram, so i prefer click-edit-post...

Investing in a lightbox is quite useful. Mine was a cheap one (40 bucks, 75x75cm, i can even sit in there!).

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447907868.423435.jpg
That was my setup for the lemongrass soap i posted in another thread

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447907969.739750.jpg
Original pic taken with iphone6

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447908156.545482.jpg
If you don't mind spending 6 bucks tadaaslr is a pretty cool app where you can create fake bokeh slr style. Just use your finger to mask the areas you want to stay focused and click NEXT. On the next stage, you can adjust the intensity of the blur, etc...

Alternative option is snapseed. It's free and can pretty much do the same things.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447908397.763428.jpg
Final pic, after basic editing (lighting, contrast, saturation)

I will share more later on... Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Using snapseed...

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447908888.289233.jpg
My setup, yellow indoor lighting. Ignored the messiness.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447908970.227318.jpg
Original photo.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447908998.123960.jpg
Lens blur feature to create fake bokeh so only the bottle in the front stand out.
Snapseed basically has everything you need to do basic editing. It's free.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447909085.304009.jpg
Use your finger to surround the areas. You can also do it linear, etc. Adjust the intensity of the blur by sliding your finger right or left.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447909191.242542.jpg
Final pic.

TY, these are very useful. I don't have an iPhone but I could probably use a kindle app to do something similar :)

Actually, iphone cam is not that good based on reviews. Other android phones are much better (sony experia, samsung). Pretty sure the same apps are also available for android.

Last edited:
Yes, snapseed is one great tool (free too!). There is also vsco, which is another great one and also free.

It wasn't free for the kindle, but it was only 99¢ so I was able to get it. I really like it :)

I have to also agree that snapseed is one of the greatest photography tools available on mobile. But I still prefer using my canon dslr and its bigger lenses compared to mobile phone, and to edit them in Photoshop.

As it concerns the lighbox (I own one too) someone can have the same mini studio much more cheaper:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fnHEvLyAE[/ame]

ETA:
You have some beautiful soap bars in tokopedia

Last edited:
It wasn't free for the kindle, but it was only 99¢ so I was able to get it. I really like it :)

Yay!

I have to also agree that snapseed is one of the greatest photography tools available on mobile. But I still prefer using my canon dslr and its bigger lenses compared to mobile phone, and to edit them in Photoshop.

As it concerns the lighbox (I own one too) someone can have the same mini studio much cheaper.

ETA:
You have some beautiful soap bars in tokopedia

Thank you :)

My canon slr is an old one w/o wifi. It is a pita for me to have to removed the card, edit in my computer, send it cellphone.. Too many steps (read: lazy).

I am eyeing one of those fuji mirrorless though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nikon D200 and if I was doing shots for print or as actual pictures for items in an online shop then I would consider taking it out and using it. But for Insta/facebook/Twitter pics, the iPhone 5s coupled with a decent app is actually pretty handy.

I have a Nikon D200 and if I was doing shots for print or as actual pictures for items in an online shop then I would consider taking it out and using it. But for Insta/facebook/Twitter pics, the iPhone 5s coupled with a decent app is actually pretty handy.

I agree.. Last night i tried doing shots for my website front page using camphone, the result wasn't so good. Pics were not clear in big size :(

Thank you for sharing this information. I stink with my photos most the time. I am going to check out snapseed and see if I can improve on my photos. I've been wanting a light box for them but haven't caved yet.

Your photos are always striking. Your compositions are so artistic. I'm one of those dinosaurs who doesn't have a smart phone. I know, I know. To my defense, I did have one, hated it, and went back to my flip phone. lol So I do it the old fashioned way, and love to use natural light whenever possible. Keep taking those beautiful photos....nothing better than some artistic soap p*rn!

Thank you for sharing this information. I stink with my photos most the time. I am going to check out snapseed and see if I can improve on my photos. I've been wanting a light box for them but haven't caved yet.

Yer very welcome :) photographing next to a window also helps if you don't have a lightbox...

Your photos are always striking. Your compositions are so artistic. I'm one of those dinosaurs who doesn't have a smart phone. I know, I know. To my defense, I did have one, hated it, and went back to my flip phone. lol So I do it the old fashioned way, and love to use natural light whenever possible. Keep taking those beautiful photos....nothing better than some artistic soap p*rn!

Nothing wrong doing it the old fashioned way. Smartphones do have their limitations. I can't use it to take clear photos for my website... One of these days i'm gonna caved in for an entry level mirrorless coz it's light for my tremored hands

Oh, I love snapseed so far! So many editing options. Definitely fun to play around with. At least now my soap photos won't look too horrible, haha ;)

1447951068930.jpg

1447951085364.jpg

Back