Share your FUGLY Soap! Fail Forward!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarice

We are one...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This morning I unwrapped what has to be the FUGLIEST soap on the planet.

So, last night I decided to make some soap and add coffee grounds for an exfoliating bar. I had just cut mylar sheets to fit a wooden mold, so I was excited to try them out too!

This morning, when I went to peek at my creation - I found one FUUUUUUGLY soap. It had gotten so hot that it completely warped all my mylar - it was still pretty warm when i took it out of the mold and cut it up.

What did I learn (what I like to call Failing Forward!)

• Experiments are fun, but don't always yield the greatest results
  • I probably put too much coffee grounds in the mix
  • instead of tossing coffee grounds into a random recipe, maybe i need to find one that someone else has perfected first
  • given that the soap got as hot as it did, i need to read up on whether when adding coffee you skip the wrapping step

I still love coffee! and I will no doubt make fugly soap in the future!

What is YOUR fugly soap?

IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg

This morning I unwrapped what has to be the FUGLIEST soap on the planet.

So, last night I decided to make some soap and add coffee grounds for an exfoliating bar. I had just cut mylar sheets to fit a wooden mold, so I was excited to try them out too!

This morning, when I went to peek at my creation - I found one FUUUUUUGLY soap. It had gotten so hot that it completely warped all my mylar - it was still pretty warm when i took it out of the mold and cut it up.

What did I learn (what I like to call Failing Forward!)

• Experiments are fun, but don't always yield the greatest results
  • I probably put too much coffee grounds in the mix
  • instead of tossing coffee grounds into a random recipe, maybe i need to find one that someone else has perfected first
  • given that the soap got as hot as it did, i need to read up on whether when adding coffee you skip the wrapping step

I still love coffee! and I will no doubt make fugly soap in the future!

What is YOUR fugly soap?

View attachment 36120View attachment 36121

OMG...that’s fugging fugly!

Unfortunately, instead of taking a pic of my deep shame, I concealed it behind a waterfall of disappointing tears. I can tell u it looked like brie from the thick ash caused by 0% SF. It truly looked like something one would throw out when cleaning out the fridge.

Last edited:
This most closely resembled something I had to scrape off my nephew's diapers once.

However, it did yield nice bubbles in a quick test - I cut it up and am drying it just to see what happens. I forgot to mention that I used a fragrance sample I received from Brambleberry - called Vanilla Oak. Don't know if that might have added to the, er, results.

:lol:

oh, sorry -- that wasn't very kind. tee hee!

My fugly was my 'meat soap' - dreadful! I colored with paprika and turmeric, first and last times!
I put a bit of mica on top to dress up the pig, lol. Sorry that the pics are just as dreadful as the soap!

2019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit cut103101.jpg
201901182019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit cut_103051.jpg

I think learning from failing (failing forward) is fabulous!

We both learned things!

And who cares if it is fugly! If it is fugly and works, I keep for me. If it is fugly and doesnt work, it donate to the Hefty Bag Foundation!
Here, here!! Falling forward....fantastic way to approach things!

we all have them--yours might be the winner though hahahaha. you have a good sense of humor!!!
just wait--I made a coffee/cocoa batch PUUUUUUUUUUUUU. the recipe said it would stink at first and man were they right but...…….the people I gave some to are really enjoying it---I haven't quite got over the smell and have just tested it and haven't showered with it yet

If y'all want ugly soap and some lessons to learn mine's up for public ridicule here lol it was my first batch that I made without help from anyone, unless you count my SOs hand holding lol

I've also made a blue cheese soap that's also somewhere here... More mold than cheese, according to my sister.

If y'all want ugly soap and some lessons to learn mine's up for public ridicule here lol it was my first batch that I made without help from anyone, unless you count my SOs hand holding lol

I've also made a blue cheese soap that's also somewhere here... More mold than cheese, according to my sister.
Your posts and descriptions are super helpful! thank you!

Your posts and descriptions are super helpful! thank you!
I even mentioned there "Actually I'm not even sure it is soap, although it does bubble and clean lol"

Haha

And if you scroll down dixiedragon congratulated me coz she (he?) has never seen anything like it lol

Back