Share your favourite recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Share your favorite soap recipe

What superfat have you been using? I have dry, sensitive skin and I've found 7% or higher works best for my skin. I also like buttermilk or cream in my soaps.

My favorite recipe was a bastille recipe that I created but I think the recipe I created for my Christmas gifts is my new favorite. I used 5% apricot kernel oil, 6% castor oil, 11% cocoa butter, 21% coconut oil, 46% olive oil and 11% shea butter.

Hi Everybody, Im Tara from Hamilton in Scotland, UK. I've been soaping for about 2 months having read a ton of soap books for the past year+ ! :)
I've literally just joined this forum and looking forward to making soap buddies. xx
I've made about half dozen 2lb batches using olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, and castor oil for SF. Oh and some Kaolin Clay too. (Really pleased with this recipe in terms of hardness, creamyness and lather.
I've came across the following which I hope some soapers could help me out with pls?
When using FO I have been using approx 40mls in a 2lb batch and the soap holds a strong fragrance, but when using EO in the same measurements - It doesnt seem to hold the scent as strongly. Has anyone a 'rule of thumb' when using FO or EO?
The soap books Ive read suggest 2tbs of EO and 1 of FO but this just didnt hold any scent.
The other thing was - I made a batch using 'applejack' fragrance which turned out fab, however, when cutting the loaf it seems to have a kind of motted look, its like crumbling dry paint lines all over it.. Any ideas what this could be?.. Love & Bright Blessing to all. Tara x

It seems to depend on the kind of FO or EO you are using. I have found Bramble Berry's fragrance calculator helpful (also figures out Eamounts), even if I'm not using a Bramble Berry product. For instance, I bought a cotton candy FO from another supplier, and I used BB's calculator for another candy scent, and it came out OK. Here is the link: http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragr ... lator.aspx

As to the applejack batch, I'm not experienced enough to say, but I hope others will chime in.

Hi Taratoots, I'm from the uk, i also make 2lb batches. I only use about 5 teaspoons of eo in each batch, i hold the scent with a teaspoon of liquid benzoin, that,s included with the essential oils, so if i put in 4 teaspoons of lavender then one of benzoin, seems to work for me, i tend to use less eo in case of any skin reactions.

Two of my favorites, each recipe generously fills a 4-lb log mold with a tiny bit left over:

Rosewood Patchouli

120g castor oil
360g coconut oil
420g olive oil
180g rice bran oil
120g shea butter

6g grapefruit seed extract

165g lye (superfat @ approximately 7%)
375g water
2 - 3 g tussah silk added to hot lye solution, stir until dissolved

15g French rose clay as colorant

scented with: 20g rosewood EO, 10g cedar EO, 8g geranium EO, 4g palmarosa EO, 6g patchouli EO

"Trans-Siberian Express"

120 sweet almond oil
60g castor oil
300g coconut oil
60g mango butter
540g olive oil
120g shea butter

4g rosemary oleoresin

163g lye (superfat @ approximately 7%)
350g water

36g Cambrian blue clay as colorant

scented with: 20g Siberian fir EO, 10g pine EO, 15g lavender EO, 10g peppermint EO, 4g rosemary EO, 5g 10x orange EO

*Disclaimer: The acceptable maximum usage rate for EO is 3%. The above formulae contain over 3% EO by weight. Duplicate at your own risk.

Re:

thesoapfairy said:
my favorite recipe is very, very simple.. maybe that's what makes it so amazing to me!

100% olive oil castile made with 50% coconut milk., unscented, uncolored.

it makes a very hard, very white, VERY creamy bar that naturally smells a teeny bit sweet, almost a faint sweet milk-like smell. it's absolutely divine :)

Hi, sorry, newbie question. I don't understand where to put the coconut milk when trying to put the recipe into soap calc, is in place of water! Thanks.

You don't need to put coconut milk in SoapCalc. SoapCalc will show you the amount of water to use and instead of water, just use coconut milk.

Thank you, i guess its half coconut milk half water then? What would be the recommended cure time?

You can use 100% coconut milk but you want to keep it cool so the lye doesn't scorch the sugar. BTW, it will turn orange but don't worry, the color fades. Normal cure time. I like to cure gelled soaps for 4 weeks and ungelled for 6 weeks but this is just my preference.

Re: Re:

Lottee said:
thesoapfairy said:
my favorite recipe is very, very simple.. maybe that's what makes it so amazing to me!

100% olive oil castile made with 50% coconut milk., unscented, uncolored.

it makes a very hard, very white, VERY creamy bar that naturally smells a teeny bit sweet, almost a faint sweet milk-like smell. it's absolutely divine :)

Hi, sorry, newbie question. I don't understand where to put the coconut milk when trying to put the recipe into soap calc, is in place of water! Thanks.

I'd love to give this one a whirl. Would you freeze the coconut milk? If you go 50/50, could you dissolve the lye in the 50% water and add the 50% coconut milk at trace? I've never made milk soap before but wouldn't mind trying.

I played around with a new recipe last night for CP soap and it came out beautifully! It's slow to trace and it helped me accomplish my first swirl. :D

30% EVOO
20% Avocado Oil
20% Coconut Oil
15% Apricot Kernal Oil
10% Cocoa Butter
5% Castor Oil

I don't know how it feels yet when using the soap (obvi, I just made it last night)- but in terms of the soap batters that I have worked with, this is my favorite - the most manageable and slow tracing I have found.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

That sounds really nice! Let us know how it feels in a month! Boy I hate waiting! :roll:

Karen, your pumpkin soap sounds lovely. I have a question for you. At what stage did you add the purée and other additives? It sounds like you added them before trace?? Is there a reason you did not add them at the end of the cook??

Thank you for any insights,
Sarah

I have a question, I want to have my soap turn a nice dark red kinda like a rich red wine. Also I will be hot processing it. I have beet powder will that work? Any help is highly appreciated.

I make goat milk soap and would like to add oatmeal and honey. Is it okay to add it to my regular recipe?
Another question is about cutting recipes in half. Mine makes 24 bars and I would like to make half that.

First question - yes it is okay to use your regular recipe. Either replace all or half you liquid with the GM. add your oats and honey at thing trace and I would recommend grinding the oats up fairly fine. I would also recommend that you don't do a water discount as the honey is going to heat this up so by not discounting your water it doesn't heat up as much....

Question 2 - run it through a lye calculator and you'll be fine.

Thanks for your answers; not have to find time during this busy Christmas season to make soap. :)

Back