Share your favorite bath and body recipes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my favourite body product in winter.

Body butter

50g meadowfoam oil
50g peach kernel oil
30g black seed oil
30g cacao butter
15g Shea butter
15g mango butter
5g rosehip oil
10g beeswax ( optional)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon lavender or rosewood
1-2 g liquid silk
1-2g vitamin E

Here's my favourite body product in winter.

Body butter

50g meadowfoam oil
50g peach kernel oil
30g black seed oil
30g cacao butter
15g Shea butter
15g mango butter
5g rosehip oil
10g beeswax ( optional)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon lavender or rosewood
1-2 g liquid silk
1-2g vitamin E
Correct me If I am wrong, but isn't liquid silk water based? I am paranoid about adding any water to anhydrous without a preservative

Correct me If I am wrong, but isn't liquid silk water based? I am paranoid about adding any water to anhydrous without a preservative

That's a good point, I am not sure but I am using the same recipe for 2 years now but they're ok. I will ask my Chemist friend.

That's a good point, I am not sure but I am using the same recipe for 2 years now but they're ok. I will ask my Chemist friend.

You get water-based silk and oil-soluble silk. For anhydrous products use oil-soluble ones.

For body butter, I do 50% firm butters, 25% coconut oil (if there's another semi-firm oil/butter out there I suspect it would be good too), and 25% liquid oil. But the absolute magic ingredient is tapioca starch. I use it at a rate of a little shy of a level teaspoon per cup of oils. Just toss it in after you get it whipped and mix well. I'm telling you, the difference is just stunning. It takes it from feeling like a greasy mess to something really silky, and luxurious. It's not just that it cuts the oily feeling- it's amazing stuff.

I'm thinking about trying this, as I have everything on hand. Any thoughts? Also, I have some apricot oil, but I am completely unfamiliar with that.

I'm thinking about trying this, as I have everything on hand. Any thoughts? Also, I have some apricot oil, but I am completely unfamiliar with that.

Lol, is this thread still breathing? :bunny:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep this thread alive! I just read through it and have about 10 things I have to try! Thanks to all for all the great recipes!

@biarine can you post a little bit more about how you blend all these ingredients (order, do you whip or not, any tips?)

I have all on hand, except the liquid silk - and I have the black seed oil in capsule form for colds - so in a pinch i could use them while I order some!

My winter skin is itching for some relief!!!

Thank you!

Whoops - I also forgot to mention that various links to "swiftmonkey" are dead (blog either closed or private?) and I was wondering if any of you still have the recipes / info that were referenced and would be willing to share?
  • your first lotion (post #6)
  • butter comparison (post #29
Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had the opportunity to work with mango butter. Is it as hard as cocoa butter or more like Shea? Trying to figure out how to substitute. I need something more serious for my skin. Firewood season is upon us and my poor hands...
I LOVE mango butter!! It leaves skin feeling almost silky:)

I'm not sure if this is necroposting, but here's my easy, simple moisturizing bath bomb (bath fizzy?) formula:

(Percentages by weight)

50% Baking soda
25% Citric Acid
5% Cream of Tartar
8% Epsom salt, extra fine
8% cocoa butter
4% Polysorbate 80
1.5% EO/FO, though an extra .5% worth can be added if desired. As always, consult the the safety guidelines for the particular EO/FO. If choosing to lower or remove the fragrance, add difference to the PS-80.

Melt Cocoa butter band Polysorbate 80 together, and don't mix in the citric acid until all other ingredients have been thoroughly mixed.

Took me over a dozen attempts to formulate, but this holds together reliably without activating, doesn't foam too much in a jacuzzi, and solubilizes the cocoa butter into the water so your skin can absorb it fairly well without leaving a film on your skin or the tub (that I've noticed).

It won't handle much more than 1/8th tsp of Mica per pound of batch, and it won't foam at all if there isn't constant surface agitation.

Here is an easy one for a stocking stuffer. I think I got the recipe from The Soap Dish.

Easy Salt Scrub

12 oz clear M&P base
.32 oz EO or FO
1.9 oz sweet almond oil
8 drops liquid bath bomb colorant
10.6 oz Epsom salts

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, colorant and FO/EO. Stir until well blended. Add Epsom salts and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers, tap containers on table to release air bubbles, put on lid and label.

My Whipped Body Butter

1/2 cup Shea Butter - SB
1/4 cup Cocoa Butter -CB
1/2 cup Mango Butter - MB
1/4 cup Coconut Oil - CO
1/2 cup light oil -jojoba or sweet almond oil or 1/2 of both
2 tbsp Vitamin E
1 tbs arrowroot powder

10-30 drops of essential oils blend (4 drops Lavender/6 drops Vanilla or 15 lemongrass)

Melt the CB in a double boiler.
Let the MB & SB soften on the stove while the CB melts.
Mix the melted CB with the light oils, essential oil & vitamin E oil.
Add the liquid oils to the softened butter and arrowroot.
Whip using a hand mixer until it's light and fluffy. (If the mixture is to runny refrigerate for 15-20 min or it starts to slightly solidify.

I store my body butter in a double walled plastic jar. It doesn't melt as easy.

If the mix is too oily for you add more arrowroot. I use natural unprocessed butters.
*Don't use if your allergic to any of the butters*
We can't get arrowroot here. What else could I use?

Latest posts

Back