Share your favorite aromatherapy recipe!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@shazran -- MakeMineIrish posted that in 2013, so it's been awhile, and fragrance oils come and go. The best way to find out if SweetCakes still carries this dupe is to visit to the SweetCakes website and check.

One of my faves is really simple. Sandalwood FO (because I cant afford the EO) and Lime EO. It is a great unisex scent.

My absolute all time favourite EO mix is equal orange and cinnamon. Trouble with that combination is that both EOs have a high potential for skin contact allergies. When I first got my EOs I saw the warning right there on the bottle warning me not to place it directly onto the skin and thought, "Huh, what do they know" and immediately placed the oil combination on my pulse points (yes, at school I was THAT child who could not resist a dare.) I smelled wonderful but within about 2 minutes I had hives at each place I had put the EOs and my skin was burning and itchy. Since then I have been afraid to use either of these in soap in case I end up with an all over skin reaction. I would like to mix them with a carrier oil and use them as a "perfume". Any thoughts on the ratio of carrier oils:EO's I might be able to use for a "perfume"? I did look at using a FO but apparently FOs for cinnamon also have the same potential for skin allergies :(

One of my most popular mixes taht I also love is Patchouli, with a hint of Peppermint and just a couple of drops of Lemongrass. I love peppermint and patchouli so I use them in almost equal parts, but the patchouli is meant to be the main focal point of this blend but mix it up as you wish!

Another combination I really love, and it's a great calming, natural blend is Lavender, Cedarwood, and Tea Tree. It's so great!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Cilantro and Peppermint or Cilantro and Lime or Lemon or Orange. I find people either love it or hate cilantro.... And most hate it

I like Lavender and Yuzu. 4:1 or 3:1, I can't remember what it is.

Eucalyptus, mint, and bergamot. Helps my stress and headaches, but for some reason when I made a shower fizzy that was 50% eucalyptus mint and 50% bergamot it smells like a marshmallow. I love the effect, and I am keeping it, but it threw me for a loop.

I wanted to share a blend I make. I call it balance. It is calming and refreshing at the same time. Into a 500 ml bottle I weigh:

2.5 oz. Lavender
2.4 oz. 5 fold Lemon
1.7 oz. Egyptian Geranium
1.2 oz. Lime or Key Lime
.8 Pine
.4 Rosemary

I use it mostly in CP soap. When I first started making it I privately called it UNbalance because I hadn't been making soap for very long and wasn't used to all the smells. I just wanted to get outside. But my family now tells me my nose is fried.

Ok so last summer I bought
Dr Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution. The BergamotSweetOrangeEsseentialOrange. OMG, that stuff smells sooooo good I want to try and dupe it soo bad.

Guinevere

I have tried a new blend that I want to share, palmarosa and oakmoss. I used this blend to scent rebatched soap scraps. It is not too sweet or earthy; but you still get a hint of rose and the oakmoss tones it down.

The most interesting that I tried were:

- 4 peppermint, 3 orange, 3 lemon, 1 lime
- 3 lavender, 2 mandarin, 1 lime
- 3 grapefruit, 3 lemon, 3 bergamot

My favorite essential oil blend

I mixed ylang ylang, May Chang (litsea cubeba) and vanilla together and it has been the favorite at every show! All 3 have anti-depressant qualities, it really does make me feel good and smells wonderful! I call it "Inspiration"!
Do you mix these in equal parts?

AromaTherapy Neck wraps
2 drops Lavender oil
2 drops Bergamot oil
1 drop peppermint oil
2 Cups hot water
2 cups hot water for a neck wrap? Can you explain?

Medicinal ? In order of strength : Tea tree oil, eucalyptus , and clove oil all smell medicinal to me. There are more, but those are the strongest IMHO. The oils are all real oils not synthetic, I think natural smells are more medicinal smelling. Remember medicines are created by manipulating plants, not by man mixing chemicals. Yes today some are purely synthetic, but the are usually trying to mimic something in nature.

I think what you are are trying to describe is the tendancy of certain oils to have a more vaporizing quality. Eucalyptus, tea tree, lavenday, all the mints... this is in my opinion only, a catagory all it's own that is neither "fruity" nor is it "floral". It's kind of it's own thing and people do react very differently to them. I think some people don't like them strait up or used very strong. But if you cut the formula to half what other people like and blend is with some kind of soft floral it can be really nice. Try Eucalypus and rose together sometime. In the right ration it has a way of making the floral less floral for people who don't love overly floral scents and the Eucalyptus less vaporizing for people who don't love that. It balances things out a bit. That said there is nothing on this earth that is ever going to make me love gardina. I just plain don't like it.

I think what you are are trying to describe is the tendancy of certain oils to have a more vaporizing quality. Eucalyptus, tea tree, lavenday, all the mints... this is in my opinion only, a catagory all it's own that is neither "fruity" nor is it "floral". It's kind of it's own thing and people do react very differently to them. I think some people don't like them strait up or used very strong. But if you cut the formula to half what other people like and blend is with some kind of soft floral it can be really nice. Try Eucalypus and rose together sometime. In the right ration it has a way of making the floral less floral for people who don't love overly floral scents and the Eucalyptus less vaporizing for people who don't love that. It balances things out a bit. That said there is nothing on this earth that is ever going to make me love gardina. I just plain don't like it.
Dorymae, most likely won't see your post to them, as they haven't been here for over 2 yrs.

The blends listed are generally EO blends. New Directions Aromatics, Liberty Natural, WSP, Nature's Garden, Brambleberry, and other fragrance/BB Suppliers will carry some as well.
Has Brambleberry always sold their EO's in only two sizes, Tiny and Large? It is rather annoying. I wanted to try her pumpkin mask and have not been able to find Pumpkin Powder or Pumpkin Extract anywhere although I am still looking.

I use in my recipes [olive leaf powder and eucalyptus leaf powder. Powder of orange peel, lemon and banana] and amla plant,

I use in my recipes [olive leaf powder and eucalyptus leaf powder. Powder of orange peel, lemon and banana] and amla plant,
Jamal, these ingredients sound great, what oils do you use with these? I don't know what properties the amla plant has but am going to look it up. this is very interesting to me, thank you for your reply.

Back