Share your 2016 Soap plans!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandy318

Reaction score
I started soaping in 2015 and I've settled on some basic base recipes that I like and people to whom I've gifted soap tell me they like.

When I was just beginning I discovered that if really helps me to have a plan--without one I started trying no less than 4 new ingredients/techniques with each soap and I was getting carried away.

So I'm planning on 2016 being a real break-out experimental year. Here are my soap goals:

* Reproduce a couple of batches that friends and family liked the most. This sounds boring, but I think taking good notes and reproducing a recipe is probably a good skill to master--I haven't yet repeated any particular soap.
* Make a nice vegan soap. I seem to be accumulating more and more vegan friends, and I want something to gift to them.
* Try my hand at milk soaps--I'd like to try a coconut milk and a goat's milk soap
* Make a coffee soap. I like coffee. I like soap. This is a no-brainer. :)
* Make a gardener's soap. I like soap. I like gardening. Also a no-brainer. :)
*Make a pumice and charcoal man soap and come up with a nice man scent.
* Make a charcoal face soap

For each of these bullet points I'll develop a recipe or two and start gathering supplies. This should keep me busy well into 2016. :)

What are your plans for 2016??

I plan to start using more essential oils. I'm researching blends and deciding what I like.

I also want to come up with 3-4 reproducible designs so I can have a set inventory as well as some unique or rotating designs depending on the season/ holiday/ my mood.

What are your plans for 2016??

• I intend to teach my husband how to make soap. It's my hope that he'll become more and more interested in the science behind it rather than just wanting to follow a recipe.
  • I want to learn to make a "real" shave soap (KOH is waiting to be delivered).
  • I want to learn to make liquid soap.
  • I intend to propose a business relationship with my local brewery (they supply me with flat beer; I provide them with beer soap).

For soap:
Develop a palm-free vegetarian recipe I'm really happy with
Learn to sculpt embeds
Work on alcohol soaps (again, I've never really been happy with the ones I've made)
Try out a ton of techniques in my CP lard recipe
Continue to tweak my shaving recipe
Try out HP more often
Make liquid soap

I really want to concentrate on B&B this year...
Balms
Groovy bath bombs (spinners and color changers and fun shapes)
Tweak my bubble bar recipe and learn to jelly roll those without making a complete mess
Work on lotions and settle on a a few basic recipes for face, thick, foot, and light
Tweak my lotion bars
Work on a silicone pre-makeup blender
Develop a after-sun care formula

Other things:
Make more bread and come up with a few no-fail at altitude ones... especially a nice, white, crusty loaf
Make sourdough bread
Learn to make cheese
Learn to can and make jellies/jams
Work on piping skills

Plant and take care of the new beds we built a little too late in the season last year. I need mythic-hero plants that are deer/bunny/elk resistant that can handle intense UV, dry conditions, early and late frost but also produce flowers and hold back soil. Bonus points for foliage that changes in the season and have a woodland forest/English cottage feel. Also, they need to be easy growers since I'm not that great at plants (what was I thinking?!?!).

I want to get back into kayaking and hiking.

I want to make at least one new recipe a week - especially vegetable recipes and try out more of the unfamiliar ones in the grocery store and farmers market I always wonder about but never try.

It's going to be a fun year!

Plant and take care of the new beds we built a little too late in the season last year. I need mythic-hero plants that are deer/bunny/elk resistant that can handle intense UV, dry conditions, early and late frost but also produce flowers and hold back soil. Bonus points for foliage that changes in the season and have a woodland forest/English cottage feel. Also, they need to be easy growers since I'm not that great at plants (what was I thinking?!?!).

Haha! I've been on a quest for mythic hero plants since two summers ago when my husband and I moved into the house we live in now and I discovered how **** HUNGRY the deer around here are! I only planted flowers according to how much I liked them and I ended up planting a lovely deer salad bar. :)

Summer 2015 I limited myself to only natives and it went MUCH better. When you plant natives amazing things happen--my yard was full of bees and butterflies and the deer generally stayed away.

I live in central Ohio and we have a few native-only nuseries. It's not always easy to find them--many conventional nurseries consider them "weeds". :(

This spring I want to develop a palm free and vegetarian recipe that I love. I did one that has a similar FA profile that I like, but I keep wondering if it could be better.

For soap:
Develop a palm-free vegetarian recipe I'm really happy with
Learn to sculpt embeds
Work on alcohol soaps (again, I've never really been happy with the ones I've made)
Try out a ton of techniques in my CP lard recipe
Continue to tweak my shaving recipe
Try out HP more often
Make liquid soap

I really want to concentrate on B&B this year...
Balms
Groovy bath bombs (spinners and color changers and fun shapes)
Tweak my bubble bar recipe and learn to jelly roll those without making a complete mess
Work on lotions and settle on a a few basic recipes for face, thick, foot, and light
Tweak my lotion bars
Work on a silicone pre-makeup blender
Develop a after-sun care formula

Other things:
Make more bread and come up with a few no-fail at altitude ones... especially a nice, white, crusty loaf
Make sourdough bread
Learn to make cheese
Learn to can and make jellies/jams
Work on piping skills

I want to get back into kayaking and hiking.

I want to make at least one new recipe a week - especially vegetable recipes and try out more of the unfamiliar ones in the grocery store and farmers market I always wonder about but never try.

It's going to be a fun year!

snappy - I could pretty much say 'ditto' to your entire list! I've been wanting to try sculpted embeds Sorcery Soap style but it will be a true test of patience if I ever give it a shot. Shave soap is also on my to-do list so maybe I will have time over Christmas vacation to make a batch with some recipe tweaks. Homemade M&P is also on my list but need to order some PG if I can't find it at the local Tractor Supply.

I've also been dying to make IL's liquid soap with the meadowfoam seed oil & PS80 but need to order the PS80 from Soaper's Choice along with some IPM. I would also love to perfect a recipe for bath bombs & bubble bars . . . those are 2 Lush products that hooked me but I can't seem to re-create! My lotion & body butter experiments have been pretty successful but I want to play around with different liquids/hydrosols as well as more exotic oils/butters.

I'm also into baking and fascinated by cheese making so can relate to those goals as well. My hubby has been cultivating a sourdough culture made from organic grapes for over 15 yrs . . . it makes the best waffles I've ever tasted! I'd love to figure out a good soft pretzel recipe using this sourdough starter in a real lye bath. So far the only bread I've mastered is a buttermilk sandwich bread that makes outta this world grilled cheeses and/or french toast. Lemme know if you want the recipe . . . you can also slightly tweak the recipe to make a cinnamon-swirl loaf.

I definitely want to expand my repertoire by trying laundry soap, liquid soap, and start exploring B&B finally - lotions, lip balms, bath bombs/melts, lotion bars and body butter.

I also bought Scientific Soapmaking by Kevin Dunn, looking forward to reading that.

So much to learn.

I'm going to start knuckling down to read the Austrian regulations so I can get my business license sorted out. In the meantime, trying different scents so I would know which ones are going to be sent for approval for sale. That, plus sourcing packaging that works well for me.

I'm also into baking and fascinated by cheese making so can relate to those goals as well. My hubby has been cultivating a sourdough culture made from organic grapes for over 15 yrs . . . it makes the best waffles I've ever tasted! I'd love to figure out a good soft pretzel recipe using this sourdough starter in a real lye bath. So far the only bread I've mastered is a buttermilk sandwich bread that makes outta this world grilled cheeses and/or french toast. Lemme know if you want the recipe . . . you can also slightly tweak the recipe to make a cinnamon-swirl loaf.

I'd love the recipe!

hm

Get my business licence and insurance
line up conventions and shows for next year
scope out the summer farmer's market
Make my own melt and pour
Make translucent soap
Try out salting out
Try rimmed soaps
Experiment more with the liquid soap

Figure out what I'm doing wrong with my bathbombs that they refuse to be spheres, experiment from there
learn to make bubblebars
experiment with jelly soaps using carageenan

other:
Take another glass blowing class
glass beads
finally get that potter's wheel I'm longing for (stretch goal)
Learning to make cheese (I got a kit for Christmas!)
Learn to make sausages
lose weight

This year I have several goals, both creatively and in business.

For soapmaking:

Create a liquid soap that I'm happy with (this one has been elusive for me)
Try making soap with wine
Experiment with coconut milk soap and other new alternate liquids
Continue to learn about lotion making and create my own hand/body lotion recipes
Experiment with salt bars
Formulate a really great facial bar (I just made this one yesterday using Kenna of Modern Soapmaking's and can't wait to try it out! http://www.modernsoapmaking.com/tutorial-argan-avocado-soap/)

For my business:

Firm up my GMP. I have all of my SOP procedures in place and feel like I have a good handle on the regs, but I ordered Marie Gale's book just to make sure that I have all of my t's crossed and i's dotted.
I'm working with a graphic designer to rework my logo to make it more consistent across platforms.
Revamp my website.
Be more selective about which markets I attend this year. This one's a biggie! I had some great markets this last year that I would do again in a heartbeat, and had several others that I would NOT.

Keep learning to make soap. Better.
Develop a couple more recipe's that are kid friendly.
Try and use every mould that Santa brought.

Make less bread. :?
Make less sausage.
Dang doc is after me to lose some weight and the home made bread and sausage really don't help.:)

Find a few more victim er volunteers to use soaps so I can soap more.

Soap --
Develop one or two go-to bath soap recipes that include tallow
Continue to learn how to use color in soap and get more experience with decorative techniques
Continue tweaking my shave soap recipe
Try a liquid soap recipe that contains lard or tallow

Gardens, yard, herbs --
Learn more about the uses and benefits of local wild fruits and herbs
Third year of growing and harvesting sweetgrass -- need to develop a market
Second year of my latest veggie garden -- stake the tomatoes properly, enlarge the beds, keep mulching heavily
Mulch my flower beds again with bark chips
Take better care of the apple trees

Crafts --
Do more wet felting; would love to make a pair of slippers
Go to a wet felting seminar this summer?
Make another series of leather purses with interesting details, including wet felted pieces

Personal --
Maintain or improve my flexibility, balance, and overall strength
Do more with the horses, if only to hang out with them in the pasture
Go fishing more

Not going to have much time to soap, or garden, or much of anything the early part of the year, but hopefully by fall life will calm down a bit (going to take RN refresher course to get my license again). I need to make 3-4 batches between now and the end of January to help with that.

First off, get thru the next few lean months till show season starts again. Will be working on improving our online sales. Soap sales almost doubled over 2014, would like to accomplish that again in 2016!

I've been making soap for about 5 years, started selling in the gift shop at the hotel I work at about 2 years ago, and got their contract for repeat guest gifts this year,
my goals this year:
Start my own website
Learn to make a good Liquid soap
and most important:
GET organized, lol

Latest posts

Back