Shapes and sizes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddleDesigns

Reaction score
I have two different molds, both of them are five pounders. One is a loaf mold, and one is a slab mold. Both get me eighteen bars, about 4-5 ounces each, depending on how high I fill the molds. But both molds give me different shapes. SO! I'm trying to figure out which of these bars is more appealing.

The green soap is from a loaf mold. The multi-color soap is from the slab mold. Which do you prefer? There is no right or wrong answer. It's all what you find more to your liking. Click on the picture for a bigger image.

I like the blue and white one better because I like when they look even, and might be bias but i feel they also get used more evenly.

What are the dimensions?
You can add more mix to the green mold and make a more balanced size bar.
It really comes down to personal preference.
Soap can shrink by about 5% or so in all directions.

Green soap: 3.5" x 2" x 1"
Blue soap: 3" x 2" x 1.5"

Side by side.jpg
I think you can click on this to see the full image. Here the soaps are with my stamp on them. The green soap's mold is filled to the very top, I don't think it'll fit any more than it already does. I like both, personally the blue soap's is easier because I don't have to cut it. But I can do more swirls and designs with the green soaps's mold. So in the end it comes down to what sells better I guess? I'm just trying to get a consensus of what people normally prefer when they see soap.

Personally I don't like 1" thick soaps. They just seem too stingy to me.
3 x 2 is a small soap but I prefer it to the other one because it is thicker.

But that is just me.

Last edited:
@soapmaker I guess that depends on how much you sell the soaps.
I think most, and I could be wrong, but with a Recipe with nothing hugely $$$ and using FO's I think they go for about $1 and ounce roughly ?

I'm in Canada which makes everything higher especially when I order from the states, I pay 35% more than the listed price with the exchange. I saw at a local farmer's market a person selling for $7/bar and of course I didn't weigh it but my guess would be 3.75 oz. bars. And that is not unusual. Some are $6 but$7 is not unusual. And I suppose people buy it because she stays there. To me that makes it a wealthy man's soap and I want to price for moderate incomes. Since people have to come to the house instead of me carting everything to market I give them a price break.

My soaps are approx the same size, but usually cure out at 5.5-6 oz and sell for $7 per bar with no problem.
Yes, that's good value for the price. But 3.75 oz. for $7? Too much. And mine don't cure to 4.25 oz. That's what they are when I cut them. And now that I think about it better, her bars can't be 3.75 oz. They are noticeably thin and narrow, and noticeably smaller than mine.

I sell my soaps at about $4 - $5, though I know I should probably try to sell them for more. $7 seems too much for a soap that I didn't put a high top on. The more work that goes into a soap, the more you should charge. But if the soap is a simple pour; an in the pot or a zebra stripe, I personally don't charge more than $5usd for it. Those of you that can sell higher, more power to you!

It really depends on what you want to get paid for. Personally, I'd like to get paid for the time to make labels, package soaps, hauling stuff around to shows and my time at shows, plus taking photos for online selling, the time it takes to setup, make, and clean up after soapmaking... there's way more to the list than just what I've put here and the cost of ingredients. In the end, I settle for pricing soaps such that I can continue to support my hobby.

I agree with amd. I sell to continue my hobby/business. I have to pay for supplies, time, insurance, taxes etc......People don't blink at paying for my products. I've increased my prices periodically with no issue.

I like the blue one, I think a thicker soap gives the impression its better value.

However I think you should continue to use both moulds for different soaps as I like to see different shapes/sizes on a stall.

Back