Shampoo vs Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
What makes a shampoo bar different than soap? From what I have read, is it the same, just less superfat?

Why shampoo bar vs liquid shampoo? Handmade/homemade of course!

One of these days, I will actually get some REAL work done that pays the bills, instead of fantasizing about soap all day! :lol:

A shampoo bar usually has a much high proportion of castor oil for the foamy lather. It can also have clay, much like a shaving soap to help with cleansing the oil.

It's all a matter of preference on liquid vs. bar. I think that those who travel a lot would prefer the compact bar. Only problem with both being homemade is that a lot of people can't use them on their hair.....people tend to love or HATE them....not much in between.

Why are people not able to use them on their hair? Too high of a pH? The bar makes sense especially for travel these days.

How high of castor would you go? I LOVE the idea of getting out of mass production CRAP!

You rock! :D

Well....some people's hair are sensitive to the ph, and some people have hard water....which can cause problems for natural soap. You hair might look great, or it may look dry and flyaway or greasy.

Some people are able to get around the problems by using a vinegar rinse. Basically, you'll have to try it and see. I shave my noggin, so I'm probably not the best resource on how they work on hair....but the shaving soap is nice! :lol:

In my shaving soaps, I use about 30% coconut oil, and then use about 10-15% castor oils.....shampoo bars use a similar amount. :)

Do people make liquid shampoo from scratch versus using a base? And does the same hold true as with the bars?

Thanks for your expert opinion on hair shampoos, baldy :p (no offense of course!)

Well.....let's see.

You could probably find the chemicals to concoct your shampoo at home through somewhere like The Chemistry Store, and find a chemical formulary book to get a recipe from to tweak. But you'd still have a synthetic product similar to the bases. I seriously don't recommend getting the petroleum products and the sulfuric acid to react them to make your own! :(

Or....you could make liquid soap with KOH instead of the NaOH used in the bar soap. However, you would have the problems associated with any other soap.

Does that help?

Not that ambitious and definately not interested in petroleum. I am probably being much too complex and just should try not to reinvent the wheel.

Huge help! Thanks Mike! Will try the bar and see how that goes.

I have made liquid shampoos and bar shampoos, I honestly like the bars much more than the liquid.

#1 Liquid soaps are VERY temperamental, they have a tendency to have a high PH and can either dull your hair, or cause it to dry out excessively!

#2 Liquid soaps (from scratch) take a VERY LONG time to make, unless you have some 12 hours set aside just for 8 - 8oz. bottles of liquid soaps, well it isn't very cost effective, then to not know if it's going to dry, or if it's going to turn out completely..... I have made the exact same batch of soap 10 times over and NEVER had it go the same way twice!

Then talk about volcano's well, I learned the hard way the making liquid soaps over a gas stove with all the alcohol and such well, it will go boom! yeah i've done it, it isn't fun! :shock:

either way, I do like the use of a bar shampoo, i have had MUCH more luck with it, however you still have the problem with the natural oils in the hair being 'built up' on the hair itself, and that is an easy fix with a little apple cider vinegar rinse, which by the way works incredibly!

I am not against liquid soaps, but to me I have MUCH more things I can do in a 12-18 time frame than melt one batch that will produce only 8- 8oz bottles........ That is just my opinion.

You can make shampoos out of surfactants. If you have a look around, you will find some suppliers selling the most natural surfactants they can find. I bought a great booklet from http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au that had some great basic shampoo recipes that you can learn from and then tweak to suit yourself.

Thanks!

I think I like the idea about a bar after hearing what you had to say Earthsessence. I actually used to use a cider vinegar rinse when I was a kid. Any suggestions as to do's and don'ts with a bar? Sounds like extra castor is the biggest thing.

I think I will look into that book, Becky! Awesome!

The only liquid soaps I've used were from swap partners. They both smell like cooked oil under the fragrance scent. Sort of like a french fry smell. You do have to cook it, so maybe that's why. I just don't like that underscent. I really don't want to spend the amount of time over the soap pot that it takes to make liquid soap.

I haven't tried my CP bars on my hair yet, but have used them on my dog. Her skin isn't dry anymore & the little hair she has (Chinese Crested hairless variety) doesn't look limp or oily.

Too much castor can be drying. Everyone's skin & hair is different, so you might just give it a try & see how it works for you.

I've used just a regular bar (30% palm, 30% coconut, and 30% olive oil) with a 5% superfat and it worked great! I did do an apple cider rinse afterwards though, because I love how my hair feels after that.

mandolyn said:
They both smell like cooked oil under the fragrance scent. Sort of like a french fry smell

{shudder} I grew up in the restaurant biz, and have BAD memories of the French fry smell lingering on my clothes and hair for days. Gross!

Thanks for the castor tip. More experimenting! Sounds like it really is what my preference, including using one of my regular bars.

Now I can't get that French fry smell out of my mind. Blah! :lol:

I always use my bar soap to wash my hair ... hasnt hurt it yet :)

mandolyn said:
You do have to cook it, so maybe that's why. I just don't like that underscent. I really don't want to spend the amount of time over the soap pot that it takes to make liquid soap.

Interesting little wrinkle on my brain. I recently learned that you can CP liquid soap.....it just takes a few days. I wonder if that would help with the french fry smell.

Zee....where are you? (She makes liquid soap all the time) :lol:

:lol: im here Mike :)

I cook my liquid soap in the crock pot for about 3-4 hours, the last batch i did yielded 6 liters of diluted soap. I just pumped some of the stuff that I made last batch and i don't get anything other than strawberry. I only use coconut, olive, castor and a touch of jojoba. I neutralize it with either borax or citric during the dilution phase.

I think for me, the crock pot helps it stay mild in the smell dept. I have never made liquid soap any other way though.

As for using it on my hair, I prefer not to, I have tons of hair and trying to wash it with soap makes it turn ratty, it makes no difference if i use a liquid soap or bar soap.

yeah sounds like you got dread syndrome like me (which isnt bad at all ;) )...natty dread!!

I have used my CP bar made with lots of castor oil and it left my hair nice and soft, without the need to use conditioner. And a couple of days later, I switch back to liquid shampoo. And repeat that process, it's better for my hair.

I just picked up this book at the library - Making Natural Liquid Soaps by Catherine Failor before seeing this topic come up. It's neat to hear other people's responses.

I read it and thought, "way too much goes into making liquid soaps." But it was nice to learn something new. So I would still rather purchase a big bottle of WholeFoods 365 Everyday Value shampoo in Citrus grapefruit. The ingredients are good and the price is not bad. It has 100% natural essential oils. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back